Liz Truss defends energy firms saying profit is not evil

At a hustings in Cheltenham, Ms Truss said she “absolutely” did not support windfall taxes, calling it a “Labour idea”.

“It’s all about bashing business and it sends the wrong message to international investors and to the public,” the foreign secretary added.

Nevertheless, as chancellor, Mr Sunak introduced a 25% windfall tax to the profits of the oil and gas sector at the end of May.

Presumably, Truss is preaching to the converted (business owners and shareholders) … and their self-interest will override their common-sense … Truss, of course, is just dumb enough to believe her own rhetoric.

3 Likes

Moved your post to a dedicated thread as I thought it warrants it Omah :wink:

I think she’s just peed off 90% of the population - good start Liz! :043:

Related poll: Do you think it is wrong that huge companies like Shell and Tesco have TRIPLED their profits during a time of national crisis?

1 Like

Guess she’s going to be popular with the voters

1 Like

On the one hand Truss is right, profit as a concept is not evil. Indeed, it is the central pillar of the capitalist structure. Without profit there would be no investment or growth.
However this statement also shows a woeful lack of understanding of how badly structured markets can create problems. Extreme profit is the sign that a market is not working. It shows there is a monopoly or a lack of regulation. It is why countries have anti-trust laws and give themselves the powers to intervene when the extreme profits are working against the interests of the consumers and the nation.
Truss is showing she does not understand these things. She thinks its all super simple. It is not and she will be a terrible PM if this her level of knowledge and understanding.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t worry about it. Once someone explains to her what a vote losing idea her views about protecting the electorate/customers are, she’ll u-turn as per usual.

1 Like

I can’t believe Ms Truss came out with this. She was right in one respect, though. Profit is not evil. But profiteering is. Think she might have put her foot right in it with this one.

4 Likes

Looks like the Tories have actually found an equivalent to Labour’s very own Diane Abbott, but without the intellect, morals and scruples.

5 Likes

Hi

I could not agree more dextrous.

1 Like

Didn’t she almost start WW3 by mouthing off about Russia at a very poorly-chosen moment? She’s not much of a diplomat. Out of the frying pan etc.

4 Likes

Who judges what is profit, and what is profiteering ??
Is there an established % allocated for d etermining ‘fair’ profit ??
Or is the sky the limit as seems to be the case at the moment ??
Would it be possible to set a limit ??
:frowning::frowning::frowning::frowning:

1 Like

That Woman is not the person for the job, she’s just opening her mouth and letting her belly rumble.
She will IMO cause havoc if she gets in.

6 Likes

Its a good question. But is the answer not quite obvious? There will be historic profit levels and peer group profit levels and even cross-industry sector profit levels. Should these dramatically change for one or for a small group of companies over a short period of time then it must look like excessive profits. Especially if these companies cannot evidence investments or changes they’ve made to drive this profit change.
For me, the harder question is what to do when excessive profits occur. Taxation? Regulation change? Price capping?

It’s like having a sulky teenager in charge. Heaven help us.

2 Likes

@strathmore , l think taxation ‘should’
be the simple way to deal with profiteering
But how do you tax a multi national corporation that has been designed
specifically to avoid taxation ??
Price capping would need to be done at the point that the product is sold
to be effective, ( at the auctions) ?? Is this possible ??
Is the ‘world market’ concept we are operating under at fault ??
:roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

If France can look after it’s people then why can’t the Westminster lot do something too. OR, do they all have shares in the energy companies and they would lose money.

France to force EDF to take €8.4bn hit with energy bill cap | EDF Energy | The Guardian

I guess that the French government see this as relatively straightforward. EDF is a state company and is both the producer and the distributor of electricity. There is not the artificial market for energy that the UK created in order to put energy in the private sector and created multiple businesses with the idea that they would compete with each other in order to bring prices down. That has not quite worked, has it?

1 Like

So, of the two candidates which one do you think will get the job?[poll type=multiple results=always min=1 max=1 chartType=bar]

• who do you think will become the next PM?
    [/poll]

See, I’ve messed it up, tried to do a simple poll but the minimum and maximum confused me, I just wanted 2 straight choices, Sunak or Truss.

Poll with multiple choices has invalid parameters.
What does that even mean??

Why does everything on here have to be so flipping difficult

Ouch!! Remind me not to try and mix it with you. Good analogy though

1 Like

She’s right profit isn’t evil.
However when people may well have to pay with their lives … there’s something very wrong .

You want a true blue tory Truss is for you, a true red Labourite, Hmm, I think you’ll have to look to the past.

1 Like