Liz Truss Cabinet - Home Secretary - Suella Braverman resigns - Grant Shapps appointed

Suella Braverman is understood to have departed as UK home secretary after Liz Truss cleared her diary and called off a planned visit amid desperate attempts to save her premiership, the Guardian has been told.

There is speculation that Grant Shapps, the former transport secretary who strongly backed Rishi Sunak in the Conservative leadership race, will replace Braverman in another sudden revamp of Truss’s government.

The prime minister, who had been due to visit a defence technology company on Wednesday afternoon and do a TV clip, spoke to Braverman at a meeting in the House of Commons, sources said.

No 10 denied that Braverman had been sacked but did not respond to requests for clarification about the nature of her departure.

It would be another massive blow to the prime minister’s authority after she was forced to sack Kwasi Kwarteng and rip up her economic strategy to avoid a markets meltdown.

Sources claimed the move was at the behest of the new chancellor, Jeremy Hunt, who has taken over control of the government’s economic response following Truss’s disastrous mini-budget, but who they claimed was now “pulling the strings”.

Taxi for Braverman … :taxi:

Suella Braverman’s resignation was not over a disagreement about government policy but over an honest mistake on the part of the now former home secretary.

Chaos reigns in Trussland … :roll_eyes:

It was speculated she was fired after accidentally sharing secure information on a private phone.

There is speculation, too, that Grant Shapps, the former transport secretary who strongly backed Rishi Sunak in the Conservative leadership race, will replace Braverman in another sudden revamp of Truss’s government.

Thank you for your Truss I will wear it always lol

It’s seems that Braverman is a rat leaving the sinking ship,

And this is her resignation letter. Wonder who she was really talking about:

Dear Prime Minister,

It is with the greatest regret that I am choosing to tender my resignation.

Earlier today, I sent an official document from my personal email to a trusted parliamentary colleague as part of policy engagement, and with the aim of gammering support for government policy on .

This constitutes a technical infringement of the rules. As you know, the document was a draft Written Ministerial Statement about , due for publication imminently. Much of it had already been briefed to MPs. Nevertheless it is right for me to go.

As soon as I realised my mistake, I rapidly reported this on official channels, and informed the Cabinet Secretary. As Home Secretary I hold myself to the highest standards and my resignation is the right thing to do. The business of government relies upon people accepting responsibility for their mistakes.

Pretending we haven’t made mistakes, carrying on as if everyone can’t see that we have made them, and hoping that things will magically come right is not serious politics. I have made a mistake; I accept responsibility; I resign.

It is obvious to everyone that we are going through a tumultuous time. I have concerns about the direction of this government. Not only have we broken key pledges that were promised to our voters, but I have had serious concerns about this Government’s commitment to honouring manifesto commitments, such as reducing overall numbers and stopping illegal . particularly the dangerous small boats crossings.

It has been a great honour to serve at the Home Office. in even the brief time that I have been here, it has been very clear that there is much to do, in terms of delivering on the priorities of the British people. They deserve policing they can respect, an policy they want and voted for in such unambiguous numbers at the last election, and laws which serve the public good, and not the interests of selfish

protestors.

Tam very grateful to all of my officials, special advisers and ministerial team for all of their help during my time as Home Secretary. I especially would like to pay tribute to the heroic policemen and women and all those who work at Border Force and in our security services. To oversee Operation Bridges - the largest policing operation in a generation - was a great honour and I am grateful to have had the opportunity to serve.

I wish my successor good luck.

Yours sincerely,

MaaA

Rt Hon Suella Braverman KC MP

The former transport secretary, who backed Rishi Sunak in the leadership race and has been critical of some of Liz Truss’ policies, is expected to be confirmed as her replacement.

Our deputy political editor Sam Coates says it is perhaps “unsurprising” that Mr Shapps’ name is in the frame, as he has “caused havoc” since being removed from the cabinet by Ms Truss.

He says he did not take his sacking “lying down” and helped coordinate the rebellion over the 45p tax rate - “the beginning of the end for that mini-budget”.

And it would be “a very good reason” to bring him back into the fold - “to remove the thorn from her side”.

Rumour has it that LT and SB had a “heated” disagreement and SB felt obliged to resign - was the “technicality” a ploy?

Is it true they’re fitting a revolving door at no 10 .?:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

SB received a curt reply from LT.

@wendeey , lt seems Suella was not getting support for her stance on
the ever increasing numbers of unauthorised persons flooding into this
country every day now, l say BRAVO to Braverman, she has the courage of
her convictions, she was, after all only following the wishes of the electorate!
The E mail issue was as has been said allready on this forum , only a ploy ?
I know exactly how she feels ! :-1::worried::-1:

2 Likes

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.
Two of them though :scream::exploding_head:

2 Likes

That was rubbish according to Dominic Cummings who was reported as saying Members of parliament have been using the same method of transmission for years.

1 Like

I say Good Riddance to Braverman - but there’s more resignations to come - have the Tory Whip and her Deputy resigned or not? - the chaos continued in the Commons lobby tonight! :dizzy_face:

Rumour has it that Braverman will be making a resignation speech in the House today.

Speculation abounds.

1 Like

Smells of self promotion to me … using the state of Robotruss’s government to point out that she is a straight by the rules Tory . This can only aid her in the future because she had jumped ship before it sank and because she did the honourable thing in what could easily have been a staged retirement from office.

@Jaded , This is a repeat post jaded, my previous me effort was flagged and
removed by( who knows?) the “community” ?
I commend Braverman for pointing out that she was trying to hurry along the
legislation changes needed to resolve the NI protocol issues as well as the
problems brelating to rescinding the ECHR legislation that is causing the
backlog of eviction cases concerning returning the hordes of excess
people to their homelands ?
It seems the majority of the Tories are against her doing this, despite having
signed a solemn undertaking to follow their manifesto pledges to this effect ??
BRAVO to Braverman ! We need more MPs of this quality !! :-1::worried::worried::-1: