Little girl screams no while held down to have ears pierced

Fully agree with you there, Twink. And Art’s observation of babies have it done. Jewellery of any kind has never interested me, not even the wearing of a watch, and I do wish parents would allow their child to make their own mind up, at a reasonable age. I am not sure I want to read that original article!

1 Like

It’s a difficult one, this, because I believe the NHS carry it out so that they can be sure it’s done safely. If it could only be done privately, then I’d worry that the practice would go ‘underground’, and any problems arising from it not being carried out safely would then be picked up by the NHS anyway.

Personally I would like to see all forms of genital mutilation banned for children, and that includes circumcision, but again, this would force the practice ‘underground’. I’m not sure what the answer is.

You could use the same argument for justifying doing FGM on the NHS, though, or indeed ear piercing.

I think a line has to be drawn and if it’s not done for medical reasons the NHS shouldn’t do it.

1 Like

Yes, you’re right. As I say, I don’t know what the answer is. I do think all genital mutilation should be banned, absolutely. But there would have to be stringent monitoring in place, and do we really have the resources to check every baby regularly? To make attendance at clinics compulsory, where babies and toddlers are routinely weighed and checked?

I’m afraid that any such legislation simply wouldn’t have the teeth.

2 Likes

I don’t understand this at all…how can any mother stand by and watch her child be in pain? Choose to allow her child to be in pain?? And the shop, what the heck? As soon as the child looked remotely nervous they should have stopped!

4 Likes

I think, though, that the ultra fine tips and guns they use now make it fairly painless anyway, no need for numbing

I didn’t have mine pierced until I was 40 and I did have it done at Claire’s. It squeezed a bit and there is a loud noise and a “crunch” which isn’t nice but I can honestly say it didn’t hurt

But this poor child wasn’t to know that, unless they’d already done one ear and they didn’t want the second.

Clearly just terrified and didn’t want it done, so numbing might not have helped

Brutal to hold a child down and do this to them and questions need to be asked about how that child is treated at home

I believe the adult has to sign a consent form so they should be able to track down who this is

3 Likes

I’m sorry going to be insensitive here, NO parent has the right to make permanent changes to a Childs body, unless it’s medically necessary. Your appearance is yours to change or keep the same. No one should be allowed to do things to children that alter them physically. That’s how a child develops a unique personality, making those decisions. Culture be damned. Wrong is wrong I don’t care if you label it tradition. You’re the adult, your role is to protect, and teach, not mutilate. Yes I realize it’s only ear piercing, but it is still their body their choice.

4 Likes

Spot on Danny. Their body, their choice. I couldn’t agree with you more.

3 Likes

Exactly Pixie. It is utterly incomprehensible, and is why I said that the mother and grandmother (who I believe they were) should be held to account for this. It is child abuse, pure and simple.

1 Like

Yes, a very good point you’ve made there. Any parent who allows - no, forces - this to take place should be under suspicion.

Also a good point about the consent form - let’s hope they are traced and brought to book.

1 Like

The fact that the shop, named as “Lovisa” in some media reports, felt comfortable to not just do it under those circumstance. But comfortable to do it so publicly tells us an awful lot about the ethics of that brand.

3 Likes

Sorry, but this subject makes my blood boil. We do things to children under the guise of tradition and culture, that we would lock up or kill a stranger for doing. Anything like this makes me think of this:

Makes me want to scream, and I don’t even have children!

3 Likes

As a doting father to four daughters, I scream along side you and with you!!

3 Likes

People can say what they like, on this subject I could give a flip. If you hurt or kill a child you have absolutely no place in society now or ever. I even volunteer to be the one to see you out. Won’t interrupt my sleep pattern.

Yes I’ll stand by you and scream as well. The mere thought of my darling 6 yr old granddaughter being put through this torture makes my blood run cold.
And don’t anyone tell me it’s not torture because there isn’t really much pain - it is absolutely mental torture, which is abundantly clear from that video.

2 Likes

There IS pain and there is a whole list of detractions I found:-
Female genital mutilation (who.int) Everyone should read this and then weep because its horrific.

2 Likes

Oh LD I completely agree, but I was really referring to the ear piercing thing. FGM is utterly horrific, and I simply cannot get my head around how something like this could ever have been dreamt up as being a good idea. What kind of sick mind would you have to have to even think of something like this?

Sorry, I shouldn’t really have replied to Danny’s post, which clearly mentioned FGM, referring to ear piercing. Obviously not following the thread properly!!!

2 Likes

Don’t worry Bathsheba! I believe that it is ok to smack a child gently to teach them right from wrong, but to inflict pain for cosmetic, religious or cultural reasons is wicked.

3 Likes

How awful, was barbaric , what is wrong with the parents…
Why did I watch the video I knew I wouldn’t like it.
There should be an age of consent on piecing.

4 Likes

Most european countries pierce their baby girls ears not long after birth. My SIL is 66 and had hers pierced as a baby in Germany. I had neighbours from the Czech Republic and they had their baby daughter’s done too. My friend’s Mum was French and her and her sister were pierced as babies. I think in this country it is considered a bit “chavvy” but seen as the norm in the rest of Europe. I don’t like to see it though.

1 Like