Lismore Levee Overtopped as Rain Moves into NSW

The levee at Lismore was overtopped today with river flood levels at 14 metres

Some areas have had nearly 1 metre of rain in the last 24hours.

It is moving south and forecast to hit Newcastle, Sydney and Wollongong by Wednesday (and you wondered why the state is called NSW)

So concerning . All those homes flooded what are people going to do

Oh that’s nasty, these storms are causing so much misery

I am shamefully ignorant of Australian geography considering I’ve got family there

But my auntie and cousins live in Tingira Heights, Lake Macquarie and that’s near Newcastle, isn’t it? so she could be in for trouble

I’ll give her a ring and make sure alls well and she’s prepared

Great! Now BOM is saying that the low and trough could form an East Coast Low, just what is needed.

Oh dear, how worrying for people trying to protect their homes :slightly_frowning_face:

I hope you and other Aussie friends will be safe, Bruce.

@Bruce ,whats triggering the storms, our winter ones are basically because of the jet stream, but you’re moving out of summer into Autumn .

La Nina or the Southern Oscillation Index aided by a warming planet. This flood peak is 2 metres higher than the previous worst flood in Lismore, that is not a small amount.

This evening’s news report.

1 Like

There are 50 people waiting to be rescued from their rooftops in a town south of Lismore and hundreds stranded on bridges etc.

These rescues take time because each roof space has to checked for people taking refuge there.

Flood warnings have been issued for virtually the entire eastern coast line as the rain moves south currently Sydney and the Illawarra warning is for “heavy to torrential rain” this afternoon and tomorrow.

There is no clear sign if the east coast low will form or where, computer modelling is unclear (according to the Bureau this morning)

It looks like the Illawarra has dodged a bullet with the East Coast Low hitting the coast north of Sydney. There has been a lot of local flooding but mainly where expected Macquarie Pass is still closed as well as many schools.

The railways are in trouble because the lines are flooded in various places but the trains have been replaced by buses

Having said that it is still raining and there is the change of thunderstorms, all this water has to go somewhere because the ground can’t take any more. The extra high tide is due just after 9am which will push water back up the creeks and rivers.