Light aircraft and aerobatics

It was suggested when I joined I start a new topic. One of my interests are agile and responsive small aircraft. One in particular is the aluminium Chinese Nanchang CJ-6A two seater trainer aircraft dating all the way back to a design from 1958 and the Nanchang Aircraft Factory. Fitted with a radial engine she has a surprising rate of climb with exceptional forgiving manoeuvrability making her ideal for stunt and display work. I leave her with you and the following video from pilot Mark showing a friend a little taster of her capabilities. For me the best feeling is taking her on a vertical climb until she stalls and then over we go rolling and gaining speed before pulling up to thrill the crowds.
I hope you enjoy watching Mark displaying some of the old bird’s capabilities.

1 Like

That was brilliant, Hedgehopper, would love to have been with you on that trip! Thank you for sharing.

Have you ever been up in one of these beauties?

Tiger Moth

1 Like

@Hedgehopper Great video hedgehopper, that plane seems to be so
effortless, Funnily l was ing watching a guy stunting just north of Melton
last week, spiral vertical dives, vertcal climbs and falling off the top etc,
This was an impromptu display and the guy new what he was doing !
wasnt you was it ?? :+1::grin::grin::+1:

1 Like

Did some aerobatics as a lad whilst in the Air Training Corps. They flew the Chipmonk in those days. All very exciting, but wasted on me, I guess, joined the Army instead.

2 Likes

That is a de Havilland DH.82 Tiger Moth II Silver Tabby. yes I have flown in one or two over the years. this is another very forgiving aircraft and one previously operated by the RAF. its not favoured by wing walkers as radial engines provide a better weight balance.
Radial engine - Wikipedia

with an average of 15 gallons of Avgas per flying hour it wont be me until the present CJ6 project is finished.

edit - It definitely wont be me for ages as we now have more aircrew on the way. my wife is pregnant

2 Likes

I know it is - it is my favourite aircraft of all time. From being a small child I had always want to fly in one - finally made it a few years ago.

1 Like

everyone to their own but not for me thank you. I remember that stunt pilot who failed to get the height correct and crashed in Kent recently

1 Like

First tme i got on a plane the air stewardess asked if I was ok. Well I had to say I was surprised how high we were, I said to her “those people down there look like ants”, She said " they are ants we have not taken off yet"
Please don’t get me started on flying jokes

3 Likes

Brilliant video Hedgehopper, but I’m afraid the only Gs I’ve ever pulled are Grace, Georgia and Gabrielle…

3 Likes

I did a few hours on Tiger moths at Biggin hill as P2 whilst learning. Also many hours spent at the Northweald gliding club.
But that hobby was cut short with big arguments with expectant issue to the family, and my mum who told my I am no longer the ‘Playboy’ but a family to look after.
Also one of my friends ‘bought the farm’ and another was seriously injured.
Just one of the uncompleted things from my bucket list.
Also did a ab initio flight in a helicopter, that was a birthday present.

1 Like

Enjoy flying but suffer from sickness both in the air and on the water, apart from narrow boat on a canal. Great video, thanks for posting.

@Hedgehopper