Let there be more light

I built this gazebo in 2004 that I copied from an Amish design. Note the solar lanterns on the outside of the posts. This is important for later.

Later I installed an old Corps of Transport wagon wheel and fitted some lights.

Over the years the lanterns have quietly corroded to the point where they needed replacing.

Then I had a lightbulb moment. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: I still had the old brass and glass solar lanterns that had stopped working, so I decided to repurpose them.

In order to strip them down and remove the solar parts …

I had to break out my heavy duty tools.

This left me with a problem because I had removed a central bolt and hook to make room for the power cable and grommet, which meant there was nothing holding the parts together.

I got round this by drilling the individual components …

Then fitting self tapping screws.

I didn’t want to have to remove the base and glass each time a bulb needed changing so I cut a hole in the bottom plate with my newest toy.

Not wanting to slash my wrist when changing bulbs, and not having any protective edging, I needed to make some. I did this by slitting a length of flat power cable along one edge then stripped out the three cores to leave just the insulation.

That will do nicely.

I re-used the lamp-holders, and even though it was a bit fiddly assembling everything with the lantern upside down so the glass didn’t fall out, I am pleased with the end result.

6 Likes

That’s very clever. Looks good :+1:

1 Like

That looks fine to me👍 What voltage are the lanterns running now, mains 240 or dropped to something safer, say around 12 or 24?

It’s amazing FC
Can you make me one I have the cart wheel already :slight_smile:

Full marks to you FC, you find the answer to everything! :+1::clap:

Everything outdoors is either 230v rated submersible (pond pumps etcetera), IP55 (inside outbuildings), IP66 (floodlights and power sockets etcetera) or 12v DC (decorative lights)
Anything not protected by the feeds from the two house consumer units (with MCBs and 30mA RCDs), the garage consumer unit (with MCBs and 30mA RCDs) has individual 30mA RCDs inside the outbuildings, or individual RCD plugs inside IP66 enclosures in the garden (water feature pumps).

This is separate to the DC solar power feeds to the house and output to the national grid. I want to install battery storage for this to keep the freezers, security system, and powered mobility aids going in the event of a powercut.

I’ve been toying with the idea of installing a water turbine even though it is not economically viable. This would power everything in the garage and some of the external lights, but I wouldn’t be able to export more than 1kW as the power company have an output limit of 5kW which I would exceed when the solar is generating its maximum.

1 Like

Brilliant workmanship Fruitcake!!!

I just love DIY projects!

:023:

1 Like

That is incredible, what an amazing thing to have created, you are very talented. I love seeing peoples diy and crafts and if you have more and fancy sharing them I’d love to see them :paintbrush::art:

That is just brilliant Fruitcake and love seeing what you achieve.
The Gazebo we built to house our Hot Tub started with a fence that surrounded the Patio. We purchased a fancy panel and incorporated it in the ‘fence’ and then built upwards…
hot-tob
The Inside as you looked up was really a work of art…just cant find a photo to show you…
pretty plain compared to yours Fruitcake but it served the Hot Tub privacy issues at the time.
We were really pleased with it. We added small individual tiles for the roof as well.
Just found a photo of the fancy panel…
Saber 2

3 Likes

I have posted several of my projects on this section of the forum. If you scroll down you should find them all.

I’m familiar with the sunburst panels. Somebody near us has one built into a balcony surround.

Nice looking puddy tat.

A grand bit of work there Fruity. I love your idea of the cable case as a protector from the sharp edges, very clever practical thinking that, you’d be a handy fella to be with on a desert island. :smiley:

1 Like