Let there be light

I bought this replica diving helmet earlier this year with the intention of fitting it with a lamp.

I was rather pleased therefore when I found this old desk lamp whilst having a clear-out of the attic a couple of days ago.

Stripped down for inspection. The plan was to discard the metal hood and just install a bulb-holder fitting.

It had a short 10mm threaded end where the red plastic insulation can be seen, and in my electrical box of delights I had a brand new light fitting previously purchased from Messrs Block and Quick, with a 10mm thread. Perfect.

Decorative sleeve fitted and cable fed through, then base of light fitting screwed onto the threaded end of the lamp.

Baring the ends. Always use the proper tools and always buy the best quality tools you can afford.

Wires attached to the contact block.

Cable slack taken up so the contact block fits snugly and locks into the base of the fitting. You can just see a tiny gap on the far side of the block. The angled part on the left of the gap is part of a ratchet and pall system that locks the bulb holder in place so it can’t accidently come unscrewed.

Light fitting assembly completed. You can’t see the join!

Cable fed through the safety “snake” moulded into the base to stop the cable from accidently being pulled out, and through the built in anti-chafing gromit.

Finally assembly.

Final test inspection passed.

Proof of concept in daylight.

In the dark.

Feeling light-headed.

7 Likes

Wow! :astonished: That is right up my street, Fruity, I love it!

1 Like

Fruitcake, is there anything that you can’t make?

That’s a beautiful lamp light!

Brilliant! I enjoy reading about your projects. The end result is so unique and beautiful, with a hint of quirkiness

1 Like

Thanks. We like the unusual and out of the ordinary, and it fits in perfectly with our eclectic tastes.

2 Likes

It’s really stunning!

1 Like

Superlative!

Brilliant!

Good effect, I was surprised as I thought that bulb would be too directional. Well done.

Those wire strippers look like the type we were supplied when I worked for the GPO sixty years ago, never used them, have always stripped wire with a pair of cutters or even a knife. Never nicked the copper yet.

1 Like

Er, is it just me that thinks it’s a bit spooky?:ghost:

Did you ask PAT to test it for you and stick a ‘tested’ label on it? :wink::+1:

1 Like

You are right, the bulb was too unidirectional, and it made the copper too hot so I changed it for an LED bulb instead.

Using the correct tool for the job was drummed into me for many decades. I’ve had bad experiences with people using the wrong tool to strip wires. The MoD were most displeased when we had to send a chap to remake the ends of several hundred pairs of wires in a custom built junction box for which we had charged them a lot of money because someone had used a knife and repeatedly nicked the insulation.
The aerospace industry has very tight controls with regard to procedures and tool control. Even using an adjustable spanner on an aircraft component is prohibited.

Clever …love it :slight_smile:

1 Like