Lester piggot passes away

lester

Legendary jockey Lester Piggott, whose Classic haul included nine Derby victories, has died at the age of 86, his son-in-law William Haggas has announced.

Unquestionably one of the greatest jockeys of all time, Piggott rode his first winner, The Chase, at Haydock in 1948 when just 12 years of age and his last win came with Palacegate Jack at the same Merseyside track in 1994, a few weeks short of his 59th birthday. He retired for a final time in 1995.

Piggot’s son-in-law, Derby-winning trainer William Haggas, said: “Sadly we can confirm that Lester died peacefully in Switzerland this morning. I really don’t wish to add much more than that at this stage, although Maureen will be making a statement later.”

Awwww RIP Lester.

Aw, end of an era, I’m sorry to see him go

He was no saint though, was he? :rofl::wink:

Such sad news! I have been a horse racing fan for many years and saw him ride of a few occasions !

1 Like

May angels fly him safely home!

Got banged up for tax evasion didn’t he? Shoulda gorra better accountant!

1 Like

I won a couple of bob on him, lost a couple of bob……

Should have used Ken Dodds.

Should have paid his share, he was doing alright out of it. Lost his OBE over it too……

and then there was that alleged incident with Frank Dettori’s gentleman parts :rofl:

UK taxation is legalised immoral theft.

So much for not speaking ill of the dea!

I never understood that. If a thing is true what difference does it make if they’re alive or dead?

He’s run his last race

Not speaking ill of him, he was a character and I liked him :+1::rofl:

But he wasn’t the type who would have wanted a load of schmaltz and I think he’d have grinned at being remembered for tax evasion and ball grabbing :rofl:

1 Like

He won his first race at 12

2 Likes