Leisurely Scribbles (Part 2)

I did retail, once.

you retold what? well there has certainly been some ā€˜sharesā€™ wiped off the old scribbles stockmarket today or was that yesterday - so much confusion around these parts - and I hear your cabinets are falling apart too?

now that was a good line out of a good song I think it was by EC - ā€œso much confusion goin on hereā€ - now there is only one man who could track that down??

wow just been readin mon EC is getting some bad press atm? we all get old and sad heh?

Stands to sense, some get old and happy.

@spitfire yea he used to think he was invinsible and rich now heā€™s just miserable and rich never mind george is waitin for him for sure

I was just surmising about all those great great bands and singers we were brought up on and now theyā€™ve all gone with a few raspers left behind like that Irish fella Van Morrison ; Bono etc and here we are listening to what - there is no substantial hard thumpin guys left anymore - genesis gawn heh - beatles ; lonnie etc and here we still are trying to get accustomed to the new stuff - it just donā€™t feel right?
I mean we are still here heh - we thought we could stick together? Dennis Loccoriere singin on his own for a dollar or two at the Liverpool Palladium? EC in a wheelchair these days ; Jerry Marsden and Val Doonican deed?

1 Like

Ah for Godā€™s sake cheer up lads, yizzer like a pair of old dogs pining for lost bones, whatā€™s past is gone forever, brighten up itā€™s almost Springtime and the pandemic is on the way out. :wink: :smiley:

Thanks for that bit of info about Anne Shelton Maree, Iā€™m sure your Dad meet some big names back then. :smiley:

I always liked Hugh Oā€™Brian performances in films, read a bit about him that made me laugh.

Actor Hugh Oā€™Brian was born Hugh Charles Krampe in April 1925. After an embarrassing mix up with the spelling of his name he changed it to Hugh Oā€™Brian, and who could blame him, read this little excerpt from Wiki:

ā€œAfter World War II ended, Krampe planned to become a lawyer and had been accepted at Yale University for the fall of 1947. Before that, he lived in Hollywood, where he was dating an actress. He attended her rehearsals of the Somerset Maugham play Home and Beauty. When the lead actor failed to show up, director Ida Lupino asked him to read the lines. He got the role and the play received a tremendous review, then received a contract offer from an agent.[7][8][9]
Krampe changed his name after the program incorrectly listed him as ā€œHugh Krapeā€. He later said, ā€œI decided right then I didnā€™t want to go through life being known as Huge Krape, so I decided to take my motherā€™s family name, Oā€™Brien, but they misspelled it as ā€˜Oā€™Brianā€™ and I just decided to stay with that.ā€[2][8]
Huge Krape, good job he didnā€™t have to co star with Victor Manure, or that German fella from ā€œCross of Ironā€ Maximum Smell. :smiley:

Weā€™re off to a posh pub later, me Son and his wife are celebrating 20 years of marriage, so thereā€™ll be shaking of legs and other parts of the anatomy on the dance floor tonight, yeeha!! :smiley:

1 Like

Sounds like fun, Jem, enjoy!

@Jem - didnā€™t know you were still dancing buddie - wot charleston ; boogie woogie - ?? or some of that slick stuff with a cane and top hat and long tailed jacket ?? fred astaire was it?

Jem is Irish, Gumbud, dancing is in the blood!

Good morning all and one.

I freely admit that I cannot dance. I am hopeless at it. When I was a-courting my Lovely Cousin, we took dance lessons. Even being led, I was useless, and I have not improved overt the decades.

I think politicians make good dancers because they spend a lot of time dancing around a question without actually answering it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Ah a two left footed fruitcake - rare species these days one needs to stand perfectly still when performing the pallie two glide you may do well as a Greek on guard soldier in a frilly dress? and you could try watching lots and lots of fred astaire movies preferably in b/w ? I remember my first few dancing lessons with a female instructress - she asked me why are you continually peering down my dress ? - I said Iā€™m not my nose keeps falling into it?

heā€™s got no blood heā€™s a gem dealer!!

@gumbud - He is a gentleman!

Thank you Silver, sure only a real lady would know that. :wink: :smiley:

1 Like

We all had a great night at the anniversary do, and thank you for your good wishes.

None of yer Fred Astaire stuff for me Gummy, I was, in my prime, one of the best jivers North of the Liffey, I was known locally as ā€œJivinā€™ Jem Flashā€, second only to that huge country lad Tommy Corrigan, known as ā€œThe Cork Kangarooā€ on account of the way he leapt about the floor. :wink: :smiley:

Ah them was the days, there must have been 30 or even 50 dance venues in the city back then, you were never stuck for somewhere to go once you had a jingle in yer pocket.
I was still able to manage several dances last night as I always keep myself fairly fit, and Phyllis is still well able for a couple of dances too, not a bother one her today, though I feel a bit stiff in places.

There was a great meeting of the clan last night, we have all sorts of races and religions in my family, and with all the covid restrictions gone they took the opportunity to come out of the woodwork. We had my London Jewish sister in law over along with my two nephews, my grandson and his muslim partner, an Ulster protestant, a South American atheist, to mention a few, all got along great Iā€™m happy to report, ah sure yeh canā€™t beat a few jars for making everyone equal.
Iā€™m sort of a neutral international believer, we have so many mixed races in the family with their own beliefs and we all respect each others, but call your God what you like I do believe itā€™s true that a far higher power is pulling the strings.

An official once asked me, as he filled out his official form
What God I worshipped, and to which church do I belong
I went along with him, as he played his silly games
ā€œI pray to the God of all believers, the God of many namesā€

An Arab man sat beside me, as I went to work by bus
I didnā€™t know his language, so weā€™d nothing to discuss
He stared out the window, as we crossed the river Thames
While I spoke in silence, to the God of many names.

Now Iā€™m tired and weary, and Iā€™ve lived a happy life
All the kids have families, so thereā€™s just meself and the wife
I hope to go to heaven, not for me the dreaded flames
Where my soul will rest forever, beside the God of many names. (Jem) :smiley:

3 Likes

You are a good and tolerant man, Jem. You remind me of yer man, Dave Allen, when he signed off his TV shows by here with, ā€œMay your god go with you.ā€

If your god and my goddess and the man or womanā€™s next to you god is not the same one, then let them fight it out between themselves, not us mere mortals I say.

@Fruitcake

is he still alive? - we heard the words but some didnā€™t believe them and now they shout ā€œunfair - no one told usā€ well they did is was old Bob D!! Some one mentioned beggars on the UK streets today - well I saw them in Dublin 20 years ago but I think they called em gypsies then. Yep for us thar rich folks itā€™s time to pay up for the times they are a changin!!

1 Like

@ Silver Tabby - his blood is thinning out donā€™t ya know - ya canā€™t sit in a shed all ya life and not have ya blood thin out now - even Pug knows that - have ya met Pug yet - a vagabond and a gentleman and if heā€™s not with us now then God rest his soul!

Living in the city that invented Guinness? I would doubt that very much, Gumbud !

No - I have not met Pug - not even heard of him, sorry.

1 Like