Lead by example

Supporters of carbon offsetting offers a pragmatic and relatively hassle-free means for the public to repair some of the damage caused by their modern lifestyles. It also allows celebrities (and royals) to sidestep at least some allegations of hypocrisy as they set off on yet another ski, beach or safari holiday.

1 Like

The eco Markles what a pair of plonkers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Carbon offsetting is ineffective, damaging, and a con. It is not a debt that can be repaid.

2 Likes

Hi

I have absolutely nothing in common with the Royals and Celebrities.

Carbon offsetting is not something I can afford to do.

I’m afraid that these hypocrites don’t lead in anything, all they do is puff out their chests and pontificate from their ivory towers about what us “lower orders” should do, but always include themselves out!

4 Likes

Everyone can make small differnces, high profile individuals lose credibility by saying one thing and doing the opposite.

The rich, famous, and Royals wiil not influence the behaviour and attitudes of other people, to do the best that they can do for the benefit of the environment, unless they behave likewise.

1 Like

:023:

Agreed wholeheartedly.

There’s very little point in even half the world trying to do better if huge swathes of the planet ignore that and carry on as normal, because whatever benefits are made by the triers are in effect nullified by the refuseniks.
As a planet I doubt that agreement will ever be reached among even the major powers, at least until something really devastating happens that forces action - and if that happens it will probably already be too late to do anything worthwhile about the problem.
If the increasing number of fires & floods across the planet isn’t enough, what will be?

2 Likes

As great as individual action is, we need systemic change .

My response to all of this is don’t bother!

When you realise that the very minor differences that we can make are completely overturned by China on its own, let alone the other heavy ‘carbon users’, it confirms that we are doing nothing other than inconveniencing ourselves for absolutely no advantage.

It makes some people feel warm and saintly in that they feel that they are ‘saving the planet’, but that’s all. In practice, they are making little if any difference.

2 Likes

Have you read Zoo by James Paterson ?