Lavender bush is black and dry

So I’ve just trimmed back my lavender bush and realised that underneath the healthy green leaves its almost entirely black and crispy. Nothing has changed with the routine - its been trimmed regularly and is in a dry sunny spot and otherwise has been growing fine. The branches near the top are bendy and healthy looking and have a green inside when broken, but the ones nearer the bottom are dry and brittle. Is the bush completely dead at this point or can it be recovered?

1 Like

One has to look after one’s bush.

This year’s saturated ground has completely destroyed my Rosemary bush at the bottom of my garden. Until this year it was doing so well but the rain has completely destroyed it even the geraniums were looking sad and they are near impossible to kill.

I have never successfully grown lavender the heat seems to kill it as soon as it is planted out.

Lavender does sometimes lose the will to live after many years of happy growth. But if you have new growth then perhaps it’s just an older plant, maybe cut back the deadwood and top up the soil with some compost and see if that makes a positive impact. It’s a very hardy plant, just needs a bit of coaxing.

Welcome to the forum, Jennifer :wave:

Welcome to the forum Jenny. Break a piece of stem off near to the ground and if it’s green, then the plant can be saved :+1:

Hello Jenny, and welcome.

Lavenders, although perennial, don’t live forever. How old are yours?
They reckon by about 7 or 8 years old, it’s best to either buy new ones, or take cuttings from your favourites to start again with.

Never cut into the old wood lower down the plant, because lavender blooms on this year’s growth, so if you chop that off you won’t get flowers next year.

Have a look here, there’s lots more info for you: