Latest portrait King Charles

Not to my taste, but the visage is reasonable.

Who painted that? Rolf Harris?

6 Likes

The man in the flowery shirt.

1 Like

I wonder what the King really thinks of it? He’s probably too polite to say.

2 Likes

Artistic licence, the King suggested the butterfly. The red depicts the uniform of the Welsh Guards. Will certainly stand out from others.

1 Like

I read in today’s paper that the butterfly is not a British one - not sure whether that is significant to the picture or not. I do like the idea of the butterfly though. It’s all that redness that puts me off a bit. Still, it wouldn’t do for us all to like the same things would it and art is a very personal thing anyway I think.

2 Likes

It looks like something out of Ghost Busters.

4 Likes

I like it, it’s modern and different while still having elements of a traditional portrait

The face is exceptionally well painted, true to life but empathic and kindly done

The hands I find a bit creepy, old a zombified

The red is warm and lively but muted and blurred enough still let the person, his face and his hands be the focal point The uniform and it’s connections and traditions are still there, but they don’t dominate

If anything, I like the butterfly least, it’s a bit twee and I suspect the artist only added it in deference to the King’s suggestion

But the overall effect is a bit like he’s the devil in hell!

If you added in red eyes, horns and a pitchfork ……:rofl:

1 Like

People on Twitter have, I knew they would!

https://x.com/Aku_700/status/1790609996302127325

5 Likes

Does this portrait exemplify who King Charles is, and what he has done with his life?
Surely not.

2 Likes

I know what the artist is trying to do but he hasn’t really pulled it off. The coat blending with the background is good but more subtlety needed, more detail.

2 Likes

I like it, his face and eyes are brilliantly painted

1 Like

Oh dear!

Oh dear! Oh dear!

Face is good and the uniform is OK but a I think different background would have been better.

1 Like

Should have had some trees in it because he has been such a prolific conservationist…
:deciduous_tree: :palm_tree: :cactus: :evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

It looks like the Just Stop Oil mob, have slung a load of red paint over his Maj. Ghastly picture, so much for modern art! :anguished: :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

His best portrait will be on the bank notes.

2 Likes

look forward to seeing it when it is finished…

2 Likes

Can’t do that, it would be a blank white sheet of paper.

1 Like

Great portrait capturing the likeness .
I like the butterfly on the shoulder and the pop of red. Yes, it’s a breath of fresh air.
If I have one criticism ….For me the hands are a weak point.

1 Like