Largest Spitfire gathering since WW2 held at Duxford museum

Duxford in Cambridgeshire was the base where an RAF squadron received the first operational aircraft in 1938.

Now an Imperial War Museum (IWM) site, its Spitfire: Evolution of an Icon exhibition traces the plane’s development.

After the part it played in stopping a German invasion in the Battle of Britain of 1940, the aircraft was subsequently active in North Africa, Italy and elsewhere in Europe during the 1939-1945 conflict.

Now, alongside IWM’s own Mk Ia Spitfire, a number of private owners have loaned their aircraft to the museum, so visitors can get up close to various models from its 10 years of production.

That’ll draw the “buffs” … :grinning:

1 Like

Interesting to see them, I used to like the museum in Hendon

My mum worked in the rubber factory in Bradford on Avon during the war when she was a very young teenager

And they used to make the rubber seals for the Spitfires

One came down in a nearby field and they took them all out to see the bits they were making, then told them all to go back and work faster! She was only fourteen, I think

Perhaps she made the seals in those ones!

Would have liked to see that also since I’m reading “The Bomber War: Arthur Harris and the Allied Bomber Offensive, 1939-1945” by Robin Neillands. Lots of details I didn’t know.

A marvellous sight…

Indeed.

I didn’t know this until I Googled it but there were 24 Marks of Spitfires in all. Here’s a link to a brief history and a list of the Marks and the upgrades to each variant:

1 Like

Damn I would like to go. Love WWII era planes. :grinning:

They are a beautiful looking aircraft - and very efficient! I had the privilege of sitting in one when RAF Church Fenton was still operational.

You lucky, lucky, lucky person!

Looking at the earlier list of marks, I had no idea that such a large number had been built. Thanks Percy.

1 Like

LOL! I only sat in it, JBR, they wouldn’t let me fly it!!

It was a magic day altogether. They were having an Air Display Day - I was engaged to be married to a young officer at the time and was allowed to watch the display from the Control Tower! It was wonderful if rather noisy - especially as they had a Lancaster there - the ground shook when that taxied out and the engines made an unbelievable noise!

ONLY sat in it? You lucky, lucky, lucky person! Merry Christmas ST.

1 Like