Larger-than-30TB hard drives are coming much sooner than expected

Manufacturers expect 30TB computer storage capacity by the end of 2023.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/larger-than-30tb-hard-drives-are-coming-much-sooner-than-expected/ar-AAXM1Pj?rc=1&ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=ba268f149d4646dcec37e2ab31fe6915

I cannot see the point of such large on-board storage. Anything of importance to me is always copied to a memory stick or card just in case of computer failure, and now we have clouds, is a computer with large storage necessary? One of my lappies is a low storage job …it’s a Cloud Book designed to be linked to the cloud and really it’s just an operating system with extras. The only problem with it is it’s ROM which is stuck at 4 and cant be upgraded to 16 my preferred ROM.

I guess they’ll be as cheap as chips?

2 Likes

Anything that involves physical movement is obsolete from the start.

The price and availability of chips at the moment probably cheaper.

SSD drives (no moving parts, and high transfer speeds) are getting cheaper all the time. I’ve recently bought myself an external 1Tb USB drive, and rather than go down the route of buying a larger drive, would prefer to buy drives with lower storage capacity just in case something goes wrong. 30Tb is a lot to lose.

1 Like

Remember RAID architecture? I wonder what happened to it?

Superseded by faster, cheaper drives. Same as my old SCSI set up before USB became popular.

Cloud?

Not for me!

We have five one Terabyte drives. There are no moving parts in them. As it happens my wife and I each have one. Mine has still about 80% of the capacity remaining of one drive.

1 Like

I’ve got a 12yr old 2Mb memory stick that’s still only about ½ full of stuff. I’ve no use for much more than that. V has a 32Mb stick (that’s physically much smaller than my old stick) for storing photos of the great-nieces and nothing else on.

Some people don’t want their . . err, personal collections on a cloud. There are probably a bunch of reasons that people want to store their data in a place that can only be accessed by them without a corporate middle entity.

It looks like the 30T is just 1T disks stacked together in a bundle of 30. I’m not sure if it can be taken apart though.

[quote=“butterscotch, post:12, topic:91473, full:true”]

Some people don’t want their . . err, personal collections on a cloud. There are probably a bunch of reasons that people want to store their data in a place that can only be accessed by them without a corporate middle entity.

It looks like the 30T is just 1T disks stacked together in a bundle of 30. I’m not sure if it can be taken apart, though.
[/quote]

No-one is suggesting it can. All it needs is for one of the disks to get damaged - unplugging the drive while data is being written for example, and the whole drive is knackered.

They’ve been digging up our road again, Fibre Broadband, 10 times faster. But it’s plenty fast enough at the moment. Until the mind-destroying internet with its imbedded devils music, and the computers required demand this 10 times faster connection and we are forced to buy it at twice the price … no doubt. Progress.

My preferred memory stick is not exactly cheap, but it is reliable, very small and above all high storage. Intregral Metal Fusion 128Gb costs around ÂŁ20 and has proved to be very reliable.
Integral Metal Fusion USB 3.0 Flash Drive - Silver - 128GB | 7dayshop

Unfortunately they need the speed and capacity so that people can run their lives, houses and cars using wifi d00d. I understand they are working on a wifi system that will empty your bowels for you without getting out of your seat and having to leave game of thrones half way through…

2 Likes