Landlines to end

2025 landlines are to be discontinued, not sure what impact it’ll have but most of have it with our broadband wonder if it’ll become an option to opt out of any change.

1 Like

Well then…one more way to sever the oldies and the ones who struggle with “being digital”. Good grief, have they no shame?

1 Like

Somehow I doubt they’ll notice any change whatsoever.

Thats a bit dismissive, Dex?

I never use my landline, only use my mobile, caricature…what about really elderly who rely on their landlines?

I know many have those emergency lines they have installed, for emergencies…they wear a bracelet, necklace with a red button they should press if they fall down,etc,etc.

I tend to give my landline number if asked for a 'phone number, mainly because I can’t remember my mobile number and I don’t carry my mobile with me all of the time in home. @pauline3 my husband has a panic alarm on a pendant which he wears when I am out of the house - I wonder what will happen to that because as you say it is connected to the landline - he doesn’t have a mobile because he finds them confusing (he is 90!).

Not meant to be. Was intended to allay anyone’s fears.

It is highly unlikely that anyone with an existing landline will notice any change whatsoever in terms of their personal usage. The infrastructure will enable them to utilise other digital services with ease, it they were so inclined. Am sure it’ll be an instantaneous switchover, which they won’t even notice happening. Just like (eg) when we changed from analogue to fibre. Landline phone still works with the same number, but our internet speeds increased dramatically.

But what if you are 80 years old, not in great health, and have never used a mobile or a computer in your life? You suddenly lose the only way you know how, to communicate and keep in touch with family or friends, or medical aid. I dunno…that’s just what I’m taking from this. Maybe its not like that at all… :102:

1 Like

I think you might be getting a bit confused. Your normal phone at home will work precisely as it always has done. It will be connected to a digital rather than analogue network, since the latter is being phased out. Even now, if you were on an analogue line, you’d be able to phone me on my digital one seamlessly. It’s more about infrastructure than anything else. They’re just phasing out the old system.

If its like the new fibre broadband where its only fibre to a box out in the street where ever that maybe located and not to the house it’ll be worth jack all, VOIP I wonder ?

1 Like

I think you might be getting a bit confused. Your normal phone at home will work precisely as it always has done. It will be connected to a digital rather than analogue network, since the latter is being phased out. Even now, if you were on an analogue line, you’d be able to phone me on my digital one seamlessly. It’s more about infrastructure than anything else. They’re just phasing out the old system

Ah that’s made me feel better DeX I use my home phone to chat to friends. I dont really call people on my mobile

( wanted to quote your text DeX but copied and pasted it so not sure if that’s the right way on this new site .)

1 Like

No problems @susan_m .

Easiest way to quote someone is to highlight the text as you just did, at which point an orange reply button pops up on screen… Hit that instead of paste/ctrl-V

1 Like

Ahhh I see now. Oh well that’s ok then :smiley:

1 Like

I accept your apology @PixieKnuckles :wink: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That would be a nightmare where I live , mobile phone connection is dreadful and frequently unavailable and broadband is very slow and often goes offline.
I hope this problem will be sorted by the time landlines are no more for the many like me who live in rural locations.

Same here except our mobile is rarely switched on.

If it’s THAT simple, why is BT and the media in general making such a bluddy fuss about it and scaring all the really oldies to death with their stupidly OTT headlines?

There is no way they could shut off landlines, so I agree it sounds like scaremongering from someone. Far too many people depend on them, myself for instance.

Have to admit @Percy_Vere, I never read their announcement that way. But then again, I forgot to consider how their headlines might read to the less tech savvy members of the population.

Upon reflection, it seems like they did too.

It would have been sensible for them to have included a simple one liner explaining that people just using their landlines as landlines will have no change to their own everyday experience, so they have nothing to worry about.

Guess they got caught up in their own excitement, and forgot about those who have no interest whatsoever in modern technology.

BT owns EE which is the UK’s largest mobile phone operator.
If you think you will soon have no landline then maybe they hope that you should buy a mobile - and our media are not exactly very honest at the best of times either so perhaps there’s more than a little bit of collusion going on.
:wink:

Landlines died years ago already…