Landline Telephone Service - The End Is Nigh! (BT & Virgin)

So that people can take social media, music and films on the bus with them…All the things that I will never do.

That might be a reason some people use smart phones but it is not the only reason, that is a very small part of the facilities on a smart phone, in fact things I rarely ever use my phone for.

It’s user friendly interface would also be a major advantage.

They must be the most anti social devices ever. I see people walking on the pavement eyes glued to there screens oblivious to what is going on around them and others wandering down the isles in the supermarkets with a phone in their ears. Okay I may be an old fogey.

1 Like

That may be true but it is not compulsory, you can use the phone however suits you.

1 Like

Over here Bruce most young people would have to have their smartphone surgically removed before you could have a proper conversation with them…
:hear_with_hearing_aid:

True. To me, the most advantageous thing about a smartphone is that you can use it wherever you may be; you don’t have to be at home.
Having said that, I do use mine for other things, but not constantly!

What about those of us who do not have a mobile phone?

1 Like

Get one! :wink:

1 Like

You’re the modern equivalent of the deserving poor or even the great unwashed.

1 Like

I have one in case of emergencies when I go out but when I am at home I use the landline. If the landline is cut I think I will cope. Mind you I am 84 so I will maybe go before the landline.

4 Likes

Oops!..
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Good news!

According to the DT, today, the changes has been put on the back burner.

BT seems to be apologising for not realising that, if there is a power cut, people will not be able to call 999 to get help, if their only phone connection is via their mains powered Modem/Router & Voip.

Presumably Virgin Media will realise the same.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t hold your breath! All Virgin are interested in is ££££££

I heard this on the radio this morning and didn’t make sense to me, I had mine installed last week, but they warn you of this and tell you to make sure you have a mobile in case of emergencies.

Should we think it’s a bit much when they save money, by removing their landline service, and then explain that we should buy a mobile phone in case their replacement VOIP service loses power?

Tough luck if you’re an oldie who can’t afford a mobile, or the time to set one up just as a stand by.

How many of you still have a landline that is actually plugged in for it to work? All our handsets are wireless and so if there is a power cut then the base unit wouldn’t work and so neither would the handsets.

Not true, apparently.

And to check it out, I just unplugged my handset from the mains and it still worked ok!

1 Like

Now, that is a surprise. Will try out ours in a bit but I would have thought that the base unit needed power for it to work as a wireless receiver other than just another handset charging point.

Just reading that there is, apparently, battery backup (for a few hours) in the street connection boxes.

If so, taking away the boxes will remove that facility.

1 Like

I definitely couldn’t use my landline if the electricity went out, before or now.