Landline Telephone Service - The End Is Nigh! (BT & Virgin)

Does anyone know how to connect their mobile phone so that it uses your landline number as well as it’s own sim one? Found something on amazon a while ago but it didnt have good reviews and isnt available anymore anyway.

I think there is a way to divert landline calls to your mobile, but it can cost a bit depending on who you are with. I haven’t heard of being able to use an actual landline number on your mobile though, that’s interesting.

I hope there is. After all, I like my mobile handset so it would be nice if I could use it as a landline handset as well. Not necessarily when I’m out and about, but when I’m within range of home like my current wireless Panasonic ones.

I’m with BT and they’ve sent me two phones and an adaptor for free. Just waiting for an email now to tell me the date I’ll be changing. Haven’t had a good look at them yet to see if I know what I’ll have to do.

I think where I am we must be one of the first.

If they’re cordless phones, Wendeey, I suggest you put the batteries in and charge them up ready for when you get the nod from BT.

Thanks for that Percy I hadn’t thought of that. I haven’t even looked at them yet, hopefully will do tomorrow and as you’ve suggested will charge them.

I’m with Zen and I’ve just checked their status re The End:

Going digital

When the copper phone network ceases to exist, millions of home phone users up and down the country could be left disconnected.

Or that would be the case if not for the replacement for traditional telephony: Digital Voice.

Digital Voice is an all-new way of providing your home telephone service, using your broadband connection instead of copper lines.

Because Digital Voice uses a broadband connection that is separate from the copper telephone network, you don’t need to worry about line rental. That means a Digital Voice service will often cost much less. In fact, our Digital Voice service costs just £7 on top of the price of your Full Fibre bundle, with an included 1,000 minutes for UK mobile and landline calls.

Although much better value than a traditional landline bundle, Digital Voice comes with a host of features including voicemail, call waiting, call barring, call diversion (to another device, like your mobile) and more. And as an added bonus, call quality is likely to be much better too.

If you already have a telephone number that you’d like to retain then you can port your telephone number across to Digital Voice for a one off £10 setup fee.

I’m currently on Unlimited Fibre 2 so I’m thinking of moving to Full Fibre … :thinking:

Still using copper cables where I live Omah, no fibre optics here…
:flushed:

Got it last night, tried it for several hours, it’s now packaged for return to Amazon.

Reason, far too user unfriendly for me.

Should have read the user comments before buying!

2 Likes

That’s a shame as I was hoping you’d give it a good review as I was toying with getting one for a relative of mine. Do you think it was the setting up and importing contacts that was the problem which maybe younger people would sort out for their elderly relatives just to get started or was it difficult to actually use as a basic phone?

It’s the same here and Kelly Telecom have just replaced my overhead line right back to the last pole. Fibre optics are not anywhere in my town, so the copper must be here to stay for a considerable time.

1 Like

Some others to consider:

1. What is a large button mobile phone for elderly people?
  2. Our Best Big Button Mobile Phone For Elderly
  3. Ushining – The Best Big Button Mobile Phone For Elderly
  4. This is rated our best value for money big button mobile phone
  5. TTfone TT110 Simple and Cheap Senior Phone
  6. The best of the rest
  7. How do push button mobile phones help the elderly?
  8. Features to look for when buying a large button mobile phone
  9. What do cheap large button mobile phones cost?
  10. What do the best big button mobile phones for the elderly cost?
  11. What is a large button mobile phone?
  12. What is big button mobile phone for elderly?
  13. What is a large button mobile phone for elderly?
  14. Meet the author
  15. UK Care Guide - A trusted resource, as seen on…

I for one have only got a PAY AS YOU GO phone, or my mainland phone.

If they take away my phone, then I just won’t ring any one.

How about elderly people, who doesn’t know how to use a mobile or the Internet?

1 Like

We have been using VOIP through our Virgin Media fibre connection. Unfortunately, last year we found that the phone wouldn’t work any more and tried everything we could think of to sort it out.

We finally found that the problem was that the VM router includes a restriction (ASD-something, I forget exactly what it’s called) which prevents the use of VOIP. What I really couldn’t understand was why, after all these years, it suddenly prevented our telephone connection; we hadn’t changed anything.

I’m certainly not going to use VM’s telephone line (alongside the router connection) as I’m pretty annoyed with them. Instead, we now both use our mobile phones.

1 Like

What’s difficult about turning it on and then pressing the buttons?

I suspect that some of the young techies might well sort it out.

I don’t have the patience.

Typing in all the phone numbers is a no-no for me. That might be solved, simply, by tagging incoming calls as they happen.

Maybe some of our enthusiastic youngsters will sort it all in a trice - but they’ll have to keep doing it, I think!

1 Like

I have a mobile phone which I seldom use. One problem I have difficulty with is answering a call. You are supposed to swipe to the right and tap the phone icon. It does not seem to work for me and I usually have to return the call.

1 Like

My wild guess is that they expect that it’ll be younger family relatives who’ll buy that sort of phone and set it up for them or at least help them to do so. That’s what we’ll do for my relative anyway since we know that’ll be beyond her technical know how (and interest!!!) at this stage in her life, and that’s fine by us. Having a phone she can use when she’s in or out is the main objective to mutual.advatage.

A while back I purchased a cheap smartphone with a touchscreen Scot, and exactly the same thing happened to me, I just couldn’t answer a call fast enough, trying to swipe the screen and touch the green phone icon just put me into places I didn’t want to be. It went back in the box and now lives up in the loft. I returned to my old clamshell!

There is a reason smart phones dominate the market.