Lamb curry with basmati rice

[ATTACH]14695.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]14696.vB[/ATTACH]

Lamb Curry served with basmati rice

It’s a wet, cold miserable day here - the perfect weather for a fragrant lamb curry - dinner is served:

Ingredients:
30 ml oil
1 onion finely chopped
2 tomatoes finely diced
1 tsp ginger and garlic
1 sprig curry leaves
4 - 6 potatoes cut in halves (we love potatoes in cold weather)
500g lamb on the bone ( I used lamb knuckles and thick loin chops)
1/2 tsp garum masala
1/2 tsp jeera/cumin Powder
1 tsp tumeric
3 tspn chill powder (to your taste)
2 cinnamon sticks
1/2 tsp shah jeera/cumin
Coriander and garum masala to garnish

Method:

1. Heat oil in a pot one medium heat,add onions and allow to cook,then add in tumeric,shar jeera,. Allow onions to cook on low without burning your spices.
  2. Once onions are translucent add in your tomatoes and allow to cook
  3. Once tomatoes are mashed and broken down in pot add jeera and garum masala,on the spot curry powder and allow to fry for 20 seconds without burning,add in a little water about 3 Tbs if you prefer to prevent from burning.
  4. Then add in your meat and give a good toss making sure it covered in braised spices, add ginger and garlic and curry leaves and salt. Allow to cook for about 25 mins adding a lttle water at a time to prevent from catching. I used about 500ml water, adding a little at a time
  5. Add in potatoes, and cook until potatoes are soft. Do not allow to burn and add 50 ml water at a time to allow curry to have a thick flavoursome gravy.
  6. Garnish with coriander and a light sprinkling of garum masala serve with basmati rice!

That sounds really nice.

Oooh yum! I have just made Keema for the very same reason, haha!

It was great thanks!

That sounds yummy!

Cor , that has got my taste buds tingling .lol

I have to say that your recipe sounds absolutely lovely and like others, my mouth is watering just reading it … and I’ve just had my dinner too!
:blush:
Sadly there’s only me that eats curries so when I try it (and I will) there will be a few portions for the freezer.

Question
Any chance of a good Karoo curry recipe Minx?

I lived near Cape Town for 3 years in my younger days and my mum’s Bredie recipe is good (probably only because I’m used to it) but I’ve tried a few Karoo recipes but not been impressed.
Asseblief en dankie.
:wink:

that looks very tasty minx…

Try it Apricot - you won’t regret it.

Firstly, I’m impressed that you know some Afrikaans!
Secondly, when you say ‘Karoo curry’, do you mean Cape Malay curry because their spices are slightly different to the normal eastern spices? If yes, I’m happy to share some recipes with you. Do you also want some Bredie recipes? Let me know and I’ll dig up some tried and tested recipes!

It was a lovely dinner on this cold, wet and windy evening. We’ve had rain for two solid weeks. Thankfully our dams are almost 90% full- such a blessing in a water scarce continent :slight_smile:

Thanks Minx. I’ll try that! :slight_smile:

Hey Minx!..I cooked this tonight. Turned out great. Hasn’t been eaten yet. Will be demolished tonight at around 7.30 pm AEDST. 11.15 am SAST today to you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not wild about lamb - but that does sound tasty - will give it a try. I do love to try recipes from other countries so will look forward to the Karoo and Bredie ones!

Thai Chicken

Preparation & Cooking Time 30mins

Method

Go on Google, get Takeaway Phone Number.

When Indian Chap answers “Yes Please”

Say, “Thai Chicken and Fried Rice Please, for collection”

Allow to cook for 20 minutes

Get in car, drive for 5mins

Pay £10.00

Drive home 5 mins

and eat

hi

Thanks for the recipies.

I will try, but low fat varieties.

Great stuff Keezoy! Was it good?

I will most definitely share :slight_smile:

I had a nasty run in with takeaway two weeks back so I’m off takeaways for a while!

Swimmy you can skip the potatoes and substitute basmati rice for brown rice. Please note, my lamb is trimmed of all fat.