Lack of stock on all sorts

Following on from another thread, there seems to be a shortage of either skilled workers or they’re overwhelmed with work or its stock shortages, enquired about a up and over garage door they came out and measured got a quote, asked about a side hinged one, heard nothing, that was three weeks ago, went into a shopping mall, Pavers shoe shop, the staff in there were bemoaning the lack of stock, is it brexit, or the virus ?

1 Like

Surely can’t be brexit caricature?
More likely to be covid and factories in able to fulfill orders etc??
I expect this to change once the furlough scheme ends and workers need money again ??
Of course remainers are desperately searching for things that have gone wrong in
order to justify their pre brexit claims of disaster and upheaval ??
Where are they??
I covid had not come along nobody would know brexit had happened !!

Donkeyman! :hugs::hugs::hugs:

IMHO it’s a good mix of quite a few influencing factors all having an impact at the same time, from shipping container shortages to lack of stock because factories habe been affected by Covid and much more besides.

I went into a big Co-op this morning, one I don’t usually use & a lot of the shelves/refrigerated shelves were empty of stock, they didn’t even have green top milk, many others only had a couple or one of the item left on the shelf, I did the best I could, bought what I could. I have never seen this even at the height of the first lock down.
Don’t think I’ll be going to that supermarket again in a hurry.

And what is the situation elsewhere Tiffany ??
My BH Says it’s ok where she shops !
And we don’t have difficulty placing orders for delivery,( well, no worse than before anyway) !!
Maybe that co–op was being shut down ??

Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Don’t know if it is closing, it’s in a good area for houses & other shops & takeaways in the same row. No problems with my own supermarkets here, could be that one is short staffed I suppose, but as I said it’s not near me & I don’t need to go there again.

Hi

Brexit has had an impact, many EU Workers have left.

Covid has also had an impact.

We do not know what both impacts are.

We are short of HGV Drivers and food processing workers.

It will be some time before we know the outcomes.

In the meantime there are shortages and price rises.

Not according to the statistics they haven’t.
5.3 million have applied for the Settlement Scheme which is far, far more than we were told were here and the latest data shows that still more have been arriving in the UK than leaving although the numbers have fallen.

True.

In the case of HGV drivers this is partly because we don’t see the numbers of EU-based drivers doing British deliveries because it was cheaper, but on the bright side it is increasing wages for British HGV drivers which is to their benefit as well as making it a more-reasonable career option again.
Food processing worker shortage?
Where, and why?
I suspect that it is mostly Covid-related and if not then like other areas where wages have been supressed in the past, to attract workers the wage must be made more attractive.

Again I agree.

Yes, and in fairness it was always going to be the case that things would change because of both Brexit and then Covid and now rising oil prices.
Oil has risen from below $30 per barrel in 2020 & the average of around $50 in most of the recent years to arounf $70 now, and oil affects the prices of everything - not least because it still fuels global transport.

Things need to readjust but price rises should be both minimal and short-term as both global markets and oil prices settle.