Lack of Sleep

I’ve never had to stay in any hospital, but if there is one thing I do know about is this…deep, physical relaxation with general peace of mind for 60 minutes is equal to 33 minutes of actual sleep.

2 Likes

I don’t really get that? Why wouldn’t you just opt for the actual sleep?

Could be Ian means meditation?

1 Like

Yes, probably. I was just thinking if you have to meditate for 60 mins to be as rested as 33 mins actual sleep, it would be more time efficient just to take a nap :thinking:

I do Yoga Nidra, which they claim can give you as much rest as 2-4 hours sleep! I don’t believe that for a moment but it is very relaxing and calming

1 Like

That sounds really interesting! I often get in that inbetween state of sleep and awake just before I drop off. It’s a fascinating world of weird thoughts and sometimes, music happens. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Hi

Just a personal observation .

I am rarely, if ever, on what you may consider to be a normal hospital ward.

I do not book on for a pre-booked proceedure or set of tests with a friend or family members carrying a neatly packed suitcase with all the bits in.

I arrive by a blue light ambulance, with a grab bag if the paramedics remember it, on a stretcher and straight into Resus often with my clothes being cut off.

After a time on an oxygen mask, drips and strong painkillers and ECG, off, on a good day to Acute Medical, on a bad day to Intensive Care or High Dependancy.
The best I get is a sideroom or a bay next to the nurses station, normally in Coronary Care, but more recently in Isolation.

I get intensive treatment but sleep is not a priority.

All good fun, I am still here

2 Likes

You are indeed and coping with it all with amazing bravery and tenacity

Try and keep that grab bag well stocked and keep reminding them to bring it with you, it will make a big difference to your personal comfort

The last time I was in hospital, it was right in the middle of Covid and like you, it was a flashing blue light job

All us patients were crammed into two wards, the others were closed, except for the Covid wards

I had absolutely nothing with me, not even a toothbrush. You were allowed one nominated visitor once a day, but I wouldn’t let them come.

The place was full of Covid, it was before vaccinations and people were dying of it and I had no intention of putting my lot at risk of catching it by visiting me in the plague pit.

The hospital found me a toothbrush and a comb and I spent a week in hospital gowns, paper knickers and disposable slippers!

And that’s what taught me the value of a well filled grab bag!

I hope all is going well for you and you’re back to your home comforts soon xxxxx

1 Like

That stage before you sleep is really interesting. It’s when your mind starts to release it’s daytime controls and logic.

If you can isolate it, you should be able to lucid dream. I can’t, it’s head hits the pillow and zonked out straightaway for me :grinning:

1 Like

I see a business opportunity. Your own personalised hospital visit suitcases which youve knocked up, held in a storage facility which are sent to the relevant hospital/ward upon admission. Heck we could even use those stupid small delivery things that the co-op use round Mups’ neck of the woods to reduce additional infection from potential grocery delivery boys who would be my first choice.

2 Likes

Maybe Uber :rofl:

1 Like

Uber Ward Master.:rescue_worker_helmet:

2 Likes

I have often tried to write down events or words that occur to me while in this state, but they disappear as soon as I sleepily fumble around for a pen. :woman_shrugging: The music especially, I would love to write down…its incredible, like nothing I have heard before.

2 Likes

Blimey, a bit posh where you went Maree. :grinning:
When I was taken in, I too, had nothing at all.
They had no combs, no toothbrushes, nothing. No visitors were allowed in the ward, so I had no one to bing these things in for me.
I had to ask where I could wash, and if they some soap and a towel, and you’d think I was asking for the crown jewels! I never combed my hair for three days.
It was completely demoralising and I was desperate to get out of there, I felt like escaping out the window.
Worst ‘care’ I have ever had.

1 Like

I keep a notebook and pencil under the pillow. :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

1 Like

What if the person can’t get to sleep? They have to have a chance to rectify the loss of sleep by maximising their rest, while trying. In the absence of a person’s sleep, they can bring about the benefit of half an hour, per hour, of sleep status…by deep relaxation.

Sometimes, sleep “is eluding” us.

I’m not referring to meditation…just the deepest and best relaxation, with the calmest possible thoughts, simultaneously.

It was horrible wasn’t it? but our lot genuinely made and effort.

They had hospital issue toothpaste and brush, so I don’t know why they all don’t

The comb I think they just rustled up from somewhere, maybe a patient had left it or it was in the bottom of someone’s handbag.

The paper knickers were the worst, they were on a roll, like kitchen roll, and you had to tear a pair off :frowning:

Every morning they pulled the curtains round my bed and brought me a bowl of hot water, liquid soap, paper towels and disposable wipes for me to wash with

They gave me the best care they could in the circumstances. The hospital had wards full of Covid patients, some of them dying and they were short staffed because of nurses catching it

Those nurses worked 12 hour shifts, 7 to 7 and some of the patients were very difficult but they were always cheerful and kind

I take my hat off to them, I couldn’t have done it, even when I was young

But if I go in again I’m taking a fortnights supply of knickers! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hi

My local hospital trust is now in it’s fifth year in special measures.

It is not a place you want to be in.

Having said that they have had managers from other places in to introduce best practices.

If you come in as an emergency you get immediate care in a&e and then, if you are being kept in, you could go into a holding unit.

There you get sorted out with the basics, a small bag of basics, including a comb, toothbrush with paste already on it, wipes, shampoo etc.

Saves them time and money by encouraging patients to take care of themselves.

All this happens before you are allocated a bed on a ward.

Sleep is an entirely different matter.

The priority is treatment, so there are noises everywhere and if you are on a drip or wired up those beeps and alarms are right next to you.

You sleep,if you are lucky enough to be sent to a general ward, not before.

The other thing is single sex units.

Resus is not single sex, neither are Coronary Care, intensive care etc.

It would be stupid if they were

They do try in the assessment and holding units, but there is an overlap when they are full.

On the ward you are in separate bays.

This is a pragmatic solution in my view.

You would be amazed at how much time nurses spend dealing with angry complaints , mostly from males in some cultures demanding that their females are totally segregated.

The noise from this can keep you awake for hours and stops nurses nursing

1 Like

I remember there was a big fuss made when the hospital wherein I worked first introduced mixed sex wards and, I have to admit, at first I didn’t like the idea - but - being logical about it - if someone is sick enough to be admitted to hospital are they really going to care about who sleeps where so long as they are receiving the correct treatment? It may matter more when they begin to recover and take notice. As long as curtains/screens are available when privacy is needed/wanted - then does it really matter?

Sorry, Swimmy, went a bit off topic there. I bet you will be glad to be home in your bed though with some quality sleep.

1 Like

I haven’t spent a lot of time in hospital , and when I have it hasn’t seemed noisy, but I have usually been there for just a few days, knew when I was likely to be discharged and not in much pain.
Sadly many people are in there unexpectedly, are waiting for test results to find what is causing them to be ill and therefore very stressed . Stress can often be the cause of lack of sleep and in the middle of the night there is rarely somebody available to talk and offer comfort for thoughts going through your head.

1 Like