Lack of Sleep

Hi

Sleep is eluding me at the moment.

I was woken before six yesterday morning and have yet to get any sleep, with all the hassle last night.

I have a procedure due and the team doing it do not come on duty until 9 tonight.

I will then have been awake for 39 hours straight.

I will be sleeping after that for sure.

4 Likes

Good lord Swimmy! Don’t they know about stress on the body due to lack of sleep? :astonished: Can you at least have a nap between now and then? You need to rest. :hugs:

1 Like

Keep hanging on in there swim’s you have to be alive to go with out sleep, they’ll be plenty of time to catch up when you do leave the mortal coil .

Hi

In theory I could have had hours of sleep .

However real life on a busy ward is not like that, it is noisy, then factor in Dementia Lady, visits from all and sundry to take blood and swabs etc and sleep goes out the window.

1 Like

I empathise. Lack of sleep is debilitating and especially as you say, hospital wards are just so noisy. Hope you soon get some rest.

When John was in hospital a few months back, when he came home he told me he got no sleep in there, just catnapping in the chair because it was very noisy, even during the night it was noisy due to people and John being woken for injections or bp tests etc. The nurses weren’t quiet either chatting loudly with their colleagues.

John was glad to get home and he crashed when he came home and had a lovely and long needed sleep.

I hope you can get home soon buggerlugs :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Swimmy, Hospitals are the worst place to get any sleep, especially with all those loud snorers in there!

There is nothing like your own bed for a good sleep! Hopefully, it won’t be too long until you are back home in your own bed.

Could you get into bed with another patient and they stroke your shoulder until you drop off?
You might get beat up but at least you’d get a sleep!! :laughing:

Sorry… but l thought it might make you laugh!!

2 Likes

Sleep well Swimmy.

Sleeping in hospital is very difficult, I hope you managed to catch 40 winks but you’ll so appreciate when you do get home and can just relax

Hope your procedure went OK

Have you tried ear plugs? I used to use them in the night in hospital, also having my big headphones on with with soft music or white noise plying from my iphone

That’s a good idea, Maree.
When I was in hospital several times last year, I found some of the wards didnt even dim the flippin lights at night, either. That was awful.
I do think you will sleep when you are tired enough though, you can’t help it, you will just nod off.

1 Like

I’ve got a headband with Bluetooth speakers in them which I can pull over my eyes while listening to music or whatever. Tend to prefer these to having things in my ears.

2 Likes

Ah well, I aint as posh as you. :wink:

1 Like

I think, l would find ear plugs irritating and wouldn’t sleep because of them!!

1 Like

Yes, the lights are a problem too. Perhaps a sleep mask and some of these sort of modern ear buds might help a bit? I think I might get some and put them in our hospital bag

Not planning on going in anytime soon but previous experience has taught me it’s a good idea to have a bag ready

I think it’s shocking that no consideration is ever given these days to patients needing to get at least some sleep. Yes, obs need to be done, I get that, and there can be procedures, like yours Swimmy, that can only be undertaken at certain times. What I cannot forgive is the nurses chatting at full volume at the nurses station.

Last time I was in - only for one night, thank God - I got no sleep whatsoever, what with the woman in the next bed having the alarm on her machines go off every 5-10 minutes (and 75% of the time the nurses completely ignoring it, even though they were only about 3 or 4 metres away), then the person opposite having an emergency and the doctor being called. Now at least the doctor did her best to whisper throughout the conversation and examination, but the patient was talking in her normal (loud) voice all the time. Then they came to do my obs at 3.30 - I had just about nodded off, grrr. I gave up at 4.00, put my light on and read my book. That was it for the night - breakfast trolley came round at 5.30 (breakfast? one slice of meagrely spread cold toast and a cup of tea. I couldn’t believe that was all they served)

So Swimmy, you have my sympathy - I know they’ve been so good to you, taking such good care and so on, but the total lack of commitment to patients getting the sleep they need is, in my opinion, unforgivable.

3 Likes

Er, obviously :heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like

I agree, Sheba.
Also when I was in, there was a damn woman in the bed opposite a who’s mobile rang about 50 times (well it seemed like that :grinning:), and she had the damn thing on speaker, so the whole ward could hear the conversation. I could have shoved it where the sun don’t shine after about the 6th call!!

And another thing - why do the majority of people SHOUT on their mobiles? :rage:

2 Likes

That’s a brill idea, just looked those up, should be NHS issue!

2 Likes

Can take the rechargeable speakers out to wash the headband as and when necessary. Have worn them when pottering round the house and garden too. Not bad for under £30 from Amazon. The only thing i would advise, especially if you’re a bit mutton and jeff is to download a volume booster app on your phone.

1 Like

Good luck with the procedure Swimmy :023: hope you managed to get some sleep :slight_smile:

1 Like