Labour MP Christian Matheson resigns after suspension for 'serious sexual misconduct'

The Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards upheld two allegations of sexual misconduct against Mr Matheson made by a former member of staff. He allegedly invited her on a private trip abroad and “the invitation was sexually motivated, unwanted, and had placed the complainant under pressure and intimidated her”, according to the report.

During a work event outside Parliament, he also “linked arms with her; made personal comments about her appearance while looking at her suggestively; made her hold his hand as they left and insisted on accompanying her to her bus stop; and once there invited her back to his flat, kissed her twice on the forehead and attempted to kiss her on the mouth”. The report states that the commissioner “concluded that these were all unwanted and unwelcome sexual advances”.

Mr Matheson has been the MP for the City of Chester since 2015.

“I have today, with great sadness, tendered my resignation as Member of Parliament for the City of Chester,” he said in a statement. "I am dismayed that I have been found guilty of several allegations that I know to be untrue. I faced a suspension from the House of four weeks. Whilst I believe that this is an excessive and unfair penalty, I cannot challenge the process further. I believe that the honourable and right thing to do now is to resign my seat.

Sleazy … :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Nasty piece of work by the sound of it

Is it being in a position of power or are they just gits?

Why didnt she slap his face ?

1 Like

Sounds like a bit of a none event to me.