Kwasi Kwarteng’s secret meetings with Saudi oil firms revealed

The chancellor, Kwasi Kwarteng, held undisclosed meetings with senior executives of Saudi Arabian firms when he was the business secretary, documents acquired by the Guardian show.

The meetings occurred in January, when Kwarteng visited the kingdom for a two-day trip under his previous ministerial role.

Documents released using the Freedom of Information Act (FoI) show Kwarteng held undisclosed meetings with the chief executive of Saudi Aramco, the world’s biggest oil producer; the chief executive of Sabic, the world’s fourth largest petrochemical company; and the chair of Alfanar Group, an industrial conglomerate.

However, transparency disclosures from the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy did not contain any reference to meetings during the period Kwarteng was in Saudi Arabia when originally published.

While meetings with foreign government figures are not required to be declared, encounters with business executives should be. A government spokesperson said there had been an “administrative oversight”.

Kwarteng was flown around the kingdom by Saudi Aramco, which operates a number of helicopters, jets and airports. The flights provided the opportunity for the oil company to lobby the minister then responsible for the UK’s energy policy, the documents suggest.

Kwarteng’s travel by Aramco aircraft also raises questions about compliance with the ministerial code, which states that offers of free travel “should not normally be accepted. The only exception to this is in the case of an offer of transport from an overseas government provided no undue obligation is created.”

In its response to an FoI request, the business department said “in some cases, transport and accommodation was provided by Aramco, but this was organised by the Saudi energy ministry, who worked closely with the British embassy [in] Riyadh on the programme.”

Definitely dodgy dealings … :roll_eyes:

1 Like

It’s the same as when he met his ex boss for lunch before he announced his mini budget, and meeting hedge fund managers that he used to work with, for breakfast after the budget, these people make fortunes gambling against a weak pound…coincidence?

1 Like

I think not … :wink:

A non story @Omah

encounters with business executives should be

Documents released using the Freedom of Information Act (FoI) show Kwarteng held undisclosed meetings with the chief executive of Saudi Aramco, the world’s biggest oil producer; the chief executive of Sabic, the world’s fourth largest petrochemical company; and the chair of Alfanar Group, an industrial conglomerate.

I don’t know @Omah

I’m not very right wing, but I would be disappointed if he had not had private meetings with these people, given the opportunity.

So why didn’t he declare the meetings?

The presumption must be that KK was up to some jiggery-pokery … :047:

… not necessary.

and surely private meetings are more constructive.

I certainly hope KK knows what he is doing. And doing it for our benefit.

I think you’ll be very disappointed d00d…

1 Like

Yeah, may well be. But I look on the bright side.

I think it sad if politicians can’t have a quite word off record.

I think so, too …

That’ll be the jiggery-pokery … :wink:

That’s exactly what’s needed … or certainly worth a try.

… got to be better than the achievements expected of the likes of Angela Rayner or Diane Abbott on a diplomatic trip to Saudi Arabia.

Whataboutery … :man_shrugging: