Kwasi Kwarteng - a swift and sudden downfall

Hi, this is an automated message from your friendly Over50sChat bot :039:

Please note this thread has been tagged with our strictly-on-topic-please tag - this means the poster of the thread would prefer that you stay on-topic when posting in this thread.

If youā€™d like to start a related discussion you can do so easily by clicking on the time-stamp in the top right of any post and then clicking on + New Thread - this will then let you post a new thread and place a link to each from the other, thus making them ā€˜linked threadsā€™ :023:

Thank you for your understanding and for helping make the Over50sChat community the best it can be!

:orange_heart:

Downing Street has just confirmed that Jeremy Hunt will be the new Chancellor of the Exchequer.

During the leadership contest over the summer, Hunt put himself forward to be the next Tory leader but after not gaining enough support from fellow MPs he supported Rishi Sunakā€™s bid.

He previously served in the Cabinet as Secretary of State for Culture, Olympics, Media and Sport from 2010 to 2012, Secretary of State for Health and Social Care from 2012 to 2018, and Foreign Secretary from 2018 to 2019

Is it just me but I cringe every time I see the PMā€™s name . Was she actually christened so ?

1 Like

Prime Minister Liz Truss claims it was Kwarteng who chose to resign - describing this as a decision made in the ā€œnational interestā€. Earlier, Kwarteng signalled he was sacked, saying he was asked to ā€œstep asideā€. The PM wrote:

ā€œI deeply respect the decision you have taken today. You have put the national interest first.ā€

She adds: "We share the same vision for our country and the same firm conviction to go for growth.

ā€œI know that you will continue to support the mission that we share to deliver a low tax, high wage, high growth economy.ā€

They couldnā€™t get their act together ā€¦ now they canā€™t get their stories straight ā€¦ :exclamation:

1 Like

Her first name is Mary I think. Mary, mary, quite contraryā€¦!

See here:

:slightly_smiling_face:

Liz Truss at lectern for press conference

Prime Minister Liz Truss says she wants to deliver growth.

She says she wants a country where people can get good jobs, arguing the UK has been held back.

ā€œI want to deliver a low tax, high growth economyā€, the prime minister adds.

Truss says itā€™s ā€œclearā€ that parts of her governmentā€™s mini-budget have gone to ā€œfurther and fasterā€ than expected.

She goes on to say that ā€œwe need to act now to reassure the markets of our fiscal disciplineā€.

Therefore, she says the decision has been made to keep the increase in corporation tax.

This will raise Ā£18bn in taxes for the country, she adds.

The prime minister says Hunt ā€œshares my visionā€, and hails his experience as a minister.

Hunt will deliver the medium-term fiscal plan at the end of the month, she says.

"Iā€™m absolutely determined to see through what I promised - to deliver a higher growth, more prosperous United Kingdom to see us though the storm we face.

"Weā€™ve already delivered the energy price guarantee, making sure people arenā€™t facing huge bills this winter.

ā€œIt was right, in the face of issues we had, that I acted decisively to ensure we had economic stability - that is vitally important to people and businesses wright across out country.ā€

So far, so yada yada ā€¦ :069:

Truss is still the bot, still programmed to repeat her empty mantra in pursuit of her deluded ā€œvisionā€ ā€¦ :robot:

ā€œWhat Iā€™ve done today is make sure we have economic stability,ā€ she insists.

Really ā€¦ howā€™s that, then ā€¦ :017:

1 Like

Isnā€™t it a bit early for pantomime season? This is way beyond a joke.

1 Like

Jeremy Hunt the new Chancellor wasnā€™t he minister for health in the previous cabinet ā€¦.look at the mess thatā€™s in .
It doesnā€™t bode well.

What about Truss , sheā€™s got to go ā€¦the hurt sheā€™s caused .
Iā€™d like to see a general election but I canā€™t see that happening any time soon.

3 Likes

She must go! one way or another she canā€™t remain in office the woman is poison. There are really no words to express just
how big a disaster she is and every minute sheā€™s in office
can only make things worse.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a complete mystery why any politician worth his/her salt would look at the way that Truss has treated Kwartang in a futile attempt to apportion blame anywhere other than her doorstep, and thought ā€œI want a piece of the actionā€

1 Like

Given what a mess of temporary PMā€™s (here I mean May and Johnson, neither lasted the course) and car crash policies (everything from austerity onwards) this series of Tory governments has been hopeless. And now it has descended into farce. Worse than that actually.
And people declaim the European model of coalition governments as weak and unstable. The UK government looks banana republic right now. Bring on proportional representation and end this out of date, unrepresentative and failed first past the post system.

The turnover in cabinet ministers and prime ministers must be on a par with football mangers or energy oligarchs in Russia.
Based on the current turnover if you were to join any of the current political partyā€™s as an apprentice post clerk you could be PM by spring next year if you avoid any sexual misconduct which seems to be par for the course.

2 Likes

Just shows the mental capacity of those in the government they are literally queuing up to be thrown overboard to the sharks.

1 Like

Thing is Liz Truss campaigned to be PM with a set of views which she firmly seems to hold however instead of being in the shadow cabinet/back benches and able to state things with nothing coming of them she was able to wax literal on what she would do it seems her bluff was called and then made PM and so the house of cards fall. Sadly, we are all taking the consequences.

2 Likes

Well, Ms baldrick Truss also had a cunning plan and that was
to take from the poor and give to the rich. Yet she has - so far,
kept her jobā€¦
Hmm.

1 Like

Take from the poor and give to rich - and then claim that there would be a trickle back to the poor. If I was not being physically sick at the sheer dumb hypocrisy of Truss & her cronies then Iā€™d be laughing at the idiocy of her ideas.

1 Like

Well the reverse Robin Hood is in a blue funk today
whom can she blame now???

Iā€™d love to know how the Tory members who put her in
No10, are feeling tonightā€¦

1 Like

I really suspect they are in the mindset of donā€™t know and donā€™t care.

1 Like

Itā€™s the trickle down effect. She trickled down some sh*te policies, and now everyone is reaping the rewards of them.