Kitchen renovations - planning mine, anyone else had one done recently?

I would agree with that, although I hasten to add I fitted it myself.
I walked into our local Magnet at the right time, I bought a showroom kitchen complete with fridge freezer, sink and taps, dishwasher in fact the only thing missing was a hob, cost £500, I did have to dismantle the showroom, which we did in an afternoon.
This was after having quotes from £6,000 to £9,000 fitted complete, needless to say we were over the moon.

Very useful if you have or can learn the necessary skills.

I don’t know how people get local recommendations anyway, it’d depend on happening to know someone who’d had anything similar done recently and been happy with the results. I hardly ever hear anyone I know recommend anyone, they are much more likely to talk about the things that went wrong.

And wouldn’t you be worried about recommending anyone? If you did and then the next job didn’t go so well your friend etc. might hold you responsible.

(In my last house I had some doors replaced and a birdhouse put up, the work was done well so I had no hesitation in recommending the carpenter to friends, but whatever she did for them was not to their liking.)

Homebase have got a sale on at the moment:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/static/latest-offers/kitchen-Sale

The sale would probably only apply to things ordered for delivery before the 20th January, and I wouldn’t have anywhere to store them until they can be installed.

Well, I don’t think it’ll be Homebase.

But it may just be the fault of their salespeople, not of the products or the installers.

Any particular reason why Homebase was unsuitable … :?:

Well the saleswoman I was supposed to see was very late (too many other customers) and rude. They are probably understaffed and overworked but then they should have given me an appointment another day.

Fair enough … :slight_smile:

I’ve short-listed 3 of the companies that have replied to my ad in “My Builder”. Of course that doesn’t mean that they’ll turn up, or that I’ll hire them if they do.

Learned something new today. You have to have a 30 cm worktop on each side of a cooker, by law, apparently.

So will have to totally rethink my plan.

I have been trying to find the law that specifies that.

Building Regulation (“Code” in the US) rather than “Law” I would think?

Is that a freestanding cooker or built-in hob/oven … :?:

Seems to be very difficult to find. I still think that what I want can be done, but of course they want to do what they want to do.

I want a narrow one (50cm) so I think that means freestanding.

I am sure the regs exist somewhere but I want to see them for myself.

I haven’t located the regulations, but there does seem to a safety guideline of 30 cm of worktop either side of the hob - the space will permit pan and pan handle movement.

Additionally, there appears to be an exclusion zone that extends over the hob and a further 50 cm horizontally in every direction along the work surface, and upwards for 76 cm. In this zone, there may be no combustible materials.

In my kitchen, I have 60 cm to the left of the hob, 80 cm to the right and 84 cm to the extractor hood.

I don’t get where the 50 cm exclusion zone is.

I am still looking for the regs.

Isn’t wood combustible?

I wonder if electricity would be safer than gas.

I think gas may be more expensive at the installation stage but cheaper longterm.

The 300mm rule is safety, so you’re not reaching across heat. Basically you can reach all four corners of the hob safely.

Do you know the make / model of the gas hob? If so, look it up on Google and download the installation instructions. We are governed by the manufacturers instructions on clearances etc.
Make and model of new boiler?