Kisses on texts or emails

This apparently was brought up in August 2017, according to the bot, but that was waayy before I was even old enough to join here, so I want to know…

Do you sign off your (personal) texts or emails with a kiss? I do sometimes…and I wonder if its common practice or am I just being weird. I like to think of it as being friendly, but…maybe the recipient doesn’t, haha!

@PixieKnuckles , I have a British friend who always signs off his texts and emails with a kiss (should say a couple of xx). At first, it threw me off, thinking he meant something extra special. Now I know it is common of Brits to do this.
I may sign off with “hugs to you”, or “take care of yourself”, but almost never with kisses. On a few occasions, I may have a weak moment and say, “with love”…but mostly not. I don’t take the love thing lightly in any context.

1 Like

Being forced to write thank you letters to maiden aunts for some crap xmas present, signing off, xx, the habit stuck.

1 Like

I do sometimes sign off with a kiss, but not often. I would have to know the recipient very well before I would even consider signing off with full blown sex. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Pixie, Yep, l am sure you are referring to a thread l started a while back when most of the text messages and other messages l received, had kisses added to the end.

In the end, trying not to looking churlish, l added kisses in my replies!

I didn’t really like adding them to messages from males, in case they thought l fancied them and l didn’t!!

1 Like

My “kiss code” on texts :

x - I never type just 1 x - it looks like you begrudge it!
xx - to friendly acquaintances I like
xxx - to family and friends I love or have a deep affection for

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - I love ya lots and I’ve had too much to drink! :kissing_heart: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Gosh I didn’t realise there was an etiquette to it…! :joy: I always type just the one though :thinking: I don’t begrudge it…its just a thing…a sign of friendliness. Oh my…now I’m going to have to think about this :smiley:

Very wise. Some men need very little encouragement, and I am even more careful than you in trying to avoid sending the wrong message. :grimacing:

1 Like

Maybe it’s just me! :rofl:

I have always reserved the trinity of xxx for those I love - even at the end of handwritten letters, messages and cards.

1 Like

I am a serial x’er. Its always meant with friendly affection. I even do it here on OFC . I hope no one takes offence.

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone does, LQ - and I’m so happy that a) I’m not the only one and b) Nobody has (yet) said they don’t do it. Which would be perfectly fine, of course! :smiley: Although I might be inclined to then bombard them with lots of “xx’s” because I have had a glass of wine. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Xxxxx pisie hehe

1 Like

I’m quite a kissie person in texts to family and friends. Emails? Well no, because I never use email for anyone I know - emails are purely for business use. People I know get texts or WhatsApps, and I almost always sign off with a kiss or two. Or three :wink:.
I’m not sure, but it’s more than likely I’ve signed off posts here with a kiss, where I’ve thought it kind of appropriate. It’s never occurred to me that I might offend :thinking:. Sorry if I have :see_no_evil:

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about it. Anyone who would be offended by that must have something wrong with them.

3 Likes

Just xx to my immediate family (female only, though).

I’ve always thought that the single x, should be for my wife only.

Only if I am writing to my MP but I thought email kisses were

xoxoxoxoxo

That means hugs and kisses Bruce.

No wonder my MP always chats to me on the street.

2 Likes

And OXO means gravy

3 Likes

I send everyone kisses…why not? And I’m a serial hugger well I used to be before covid.

1 Like