Kenilworth heritage company Alvis making new cars with old parts

Alvis started making cars in Coventry in 1920 but stopped in 1967, leaving only a company that serviced and repaired classic vehicles. But it has restarted the production of some of its most iconic designs from a base in Kenilworth, Warwickshire. The cars are not reproductions - they carry Alvis chassis numbers and engine numbers which follow on from the last in the model sequence.

The company is producing a limited number of its famous models as the Continuation Series, using the same blueprints and manufacturing techniques as on the originals. The company archive includes hundreds of thousands of original Alvis parts and more than 50,000 works drawings, technical data sheets and correspondence files. The engines have been updated to satisfy modern performance and emissions criteria, says company owner Alan Stoate.

The firm says there is a two-year wait for the hand-built vehicles which start at about £300,000.

I’ve ordered one of each … :047:

2 Likes

Beautiful Cars,and Interesting story ,hard to choose which one I would have ,I like the Red one and the Cream one .
Made for people with money .
I prefer old style cars to today cars

2 Likes

I’m not into cars but those are beautiful. Like works of art.

1 Like

When we were 17 and buying our first car, I bought a 1947 Hillman Minx for 10pound, one friend an equally antique Ford Prefect, another had an Alvis, we were all suitably jealous.

It had a preselector gearbox and looked absolutely brilliant. Unfortunately it cost a fortune to maintain and had peculiarities like white metal bearings on the con rods that had to be machined to fit (they didn’t just slip in) and were a constant problem.

Like British motorcycles you can understand why they are no longer made. Spending every weekend maintaining the things is no fun after a while.

1 Like

Some Morgans for you:

Super 3

Plus Four

Plus Six

The Morgan range is priced between £39,309 - £94,665

2 Likes

My cousin has just sold his Morgan +4

and replaced it with a Jaguar F-Type 360S

(I stole his pics)

BTW his son’s name? - Morgan!

A two year lead time seems reasonable for one of those little beauties.
I could be waiting a similar time for a mass produce Toyota I ordered back in January. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Some originals:

2 Likes

Yep, all this waiting, as expectancy gets shorter, strange that. :icon_wink:

1 Like

I don’t do shorter I’m gonna live forever .