Kayaker Nick Ray: I'll paddle off to sea and not come back for a year

Ray hopes his most ambitious trip yet can help brighten up the lives of even more people.

On Sunday, he is marking his 59th birthday by heading out to sea.

Ray doesn’t intend to return until his 60th. “I’ll paddle off out of Tobermory and not come back for another year,” he tells BBC Scotland.
He has packed a year’s worth of essentials, including a “roomy” tent, flares and even a wood burner, into his cherished kayak. “I’ll probably find room for a bottle of Talisker too,” he says.

“The whole idea of this journey is just to immerse myself in Scotland. But the deeper point behind the trip is mental health.”

• grabs rubber ring Wait for meeeee! :swimming_woman:

How will it brighten the lives of people ?

Its explained later in the article :smiley:

Good luck to him!
As long as he’s got the ok from The Coast Guard and the emergency services :+1:

I’m slightly envious :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I wish some more people would do it.

2 Likes

I certainly would give it serious thought if I was still in town. As it is, I am now surrounded by the countryside so I feel very grateful to have my little corner of nature. :deciduous_tree:

1 Like

You are nearer to god in a garden.Not that I believe in god but you know what I mean.

3 Likes

I don’t either…but yes…I know. :wink:

1 Like

stick with it Pixie - cities are death!!

1 Like

They are Gumbud…they ooze dust and grime and dry out your very soul :frowning_face:

and clog up ya lungs with car fumes!

1 Like

And your shoes have to be peeled from the ground with the grease and slickness of the daily grind

1 Like

my home is now in a green and pleasant location. i cant think of a word for it but its a fake man made type of planted greenery and not at all like a natural forest village. oh here it is, a pseudo forest location. looks good but doesn’t really fit the nature of expectations. i hope that word pseudo is what I mean.

1 Like

Centre Parcs? :joy:

a small village on the south downs close to goodwood aerodrome for convenience. all wooded and all planted by mankind.

1 Like

Do you have a plane ?

1 Like

i am rebuilding a CJ6 with 2 friends and we hope to get the old bird back in the air again. of course she will be nothing like as fast as what i used to fly in my homeland military.
our biggest problem is spares and second is money before we all age beyond flying again. we have been friends since our flying display and wingwalking days.
What Is Wingwalking? An Opportunity to Fly like an Aeroplane (trulyexperiences.com)

Wing walking ?
Good Lord I’m just about up to dog walking ! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

i am one of those adrenaline junkies and need risk or wither away. my friends call me cat as i still have one of my 9 lives left. i always set alarms off at customs scanners as i am full of metal plates and screws.

Rather you than me I have a fear of heights .
I wonder if this chap is one of your acquaintances?

1 Like