Justin Welby controversial speech in House of Lords

Yes, Turkey is roughly three times bigger than the UK by land area (783,000 sq km compared to the UK’s 243,000 sq km). Currently the UK has about 250,000 refugees compared to Turkey’s 3,700,000. Which means Turkey has about 15 times more refugees, but is only 3 times bigger. Isn’t maths fun? So that means, per sq km, they are taking 5 times as many.
What was the point of your comment about the size of the country?
I’m sure you can do the maths yourself for Germany (360,000 sq km for 2,200,000 refugees). Six times as many btw. France works out at 5 times as many per sq km. The “tiny” UK is not inundated compared these huge countries, contrary to what you seem to think.

1 Like

I agree with Welby it can’t be right deporting people to Rwandan…
However I don’t know what the answer to the small boat people crisis is

1 Like

I’m intrigued?

It seems to me that Justin Welby is completeyremoved from the way most people live.

He lives in a palace for a start , difficult to see Jesus fitting in there somehow.

2 Likes

Even more difficult seeing Jesus fit into this current government.
Welby said about the proposed immigration bill: “It is isolationist, it is morally unacceptable and politically impractical to let the poorest countries deal with the crisis alone and cut our international aid,” Is he wrong? Not for me, and I’m no Jesus.

1 Like

Tell me Strathmore why do you think that the asylum seekers risk their lives and pay money to come to the U.K. rather than staying in France a safe and equally secure country . ?
France also gives benefits and accommodation there must be another reason people want to come to the U.K. .

1 Like

Australian version of the House of Commons.

Blockquote

Asylum seekers generally have limited options available to them, and choices are made within a very narrow field of possibilities. Their choices and their journeys are often strongly influenced by the people smugglers, or agents, they engage to assist them.

As they are already in France which clearly is available so why take the extra risk ?

In the case of Albanians it appears that Albanian criminal gangs are becoming increasingly evident in the north of France .
Presumably they want to extend operations into the U.K.

2 Likes

To make even more money from them, or lost their case in France.

I agree but whenever this is discussed on the radio the officials say that there are good reasons people have been admitted. Wondering what these reasons are.

Marvelous isn’t it, we have navy which mainly stays on land instead of turning these illigal small boats around in the English channel.

People smugglers ie criminals should not be the arbitrators of immigration into a country .

I do not know. I’ve never been an asylum seeker so I cannot understand their perspective. I might hazard a guess or two.
A common reason for a migrant to focus on a particular country is personal connection in some form. A typical example would be a family member already in that country. However another example might be some historic link, from empire days or from work or other connection.
Another common reason would be language. So French speaking Syrians might see France as a good option.
A final reason could be, this is a guess, that the UK does not have an identity card system. This is surely well known. Unlike almost every other country the UK does not oblige the carrying of identity at all times. This probably seems appealing as it enables work on the black, reduces the risk of being caught and of course reduces the risk of rapid deportation.
But as fewer refugees seek to come to the UK than stay in France, then why ask?

Obviously not , as they are coming at the rate of 500 - 1000 a day
We are talking of Illegal migrants now .
We have many other people that come legally to the U.K. .

Conversely, maybe we don’t have a navy of any consequence?

There has actually been a decrease in the number of Albanians coming here and over 1,000 have been returned.

Indians are now the people flocking here!

1 Like

Where are you getting your figures from? Mine are from The ONS.

The current population density of England is 429 people per sq km. ahead of theNetherlands (423/km2) this makes England the most densely populated nation in Europe! It is 3.5 times as crowded as France (116/km2) just under twice as crowded as Germany (232/km2). The UK as a whole (271/km2) is also the most crowded large country in Europe.

2 Likes

@Muddy

But they are, because of weak government. The latest idea.

UN and other simple internet searches. The numbers are correct. England is not the most densely populated nation. Your numbers are wrong. Simples. Netherlands is more densely populated. And if you cite the UK, rather than the non-country of England, then Belgium has a greater population density. But the numbers I shared are density per refugee. Just numbers and facts. Deny facts if you want to. Your choice.