Just gone and bought a Ricoh GR3X

In a moment of madness … I’ve gone and bought one of these:

not my pic, but it accurately shows what a boring-looking little camera it is looks.

can you take some photos please , lets see what it does

I’ve had one in my hands before and wasn’t awed then, and I’m not overly awed by the look & feel now. Some say it’s designed to under impress, it’s discrete, unassuming. I’ve not really put it to the test yet, not got my head around the buttons & menus, but a few test shots show … quality!

It’s got a massive senor inside that makes amazingly detailed pictures of dSLR quality and file size. It’s got a fixed lens: no zooming, it’s for the enthusiast who likes a challenge. And it’s bloody expensive.

interesting choice but at that price I would have expected it to have 4k video/stills and a flip sceen
however the results are what count so love to see it put through its paces.

sure thing. :grinning:

Oh it most definitely shoots RAW.

But yes, you’re right, not a videographer’s camera.

The way I see it is …

*We haven’t had a holiday in three years, so spend the money on something else, before it’s too late.

*3 or 4 years ago I could walk around for 2-3 hours with 1 kg of gear, now I want to try 1/4 that.

I like the idea, I rarely use the zoom on my Panasonic LX10 and have always liked wide angle lenses because they force you to get in close.

Looked it up and found that this thing costs over three times as much as my LX10 certainly not a camera for taking holiday snaps.

Have fun with it.

Thanks

This shows (roughly) the difference in sensor size between the 1" LX10 and the APS-C Ricoh

Sensor size is about a number of things including speed, depth of field, cropability,

This GR3X lens is 40mm, not particularly wide just a little wider than the nifty fifty standard.

Yeah, I get the idea but it is still over three times the price which is fine if you want to do massive blowups or massively enlarge a tiny portion of the picture but for the happy snapper like me a $400 camera is fine.

Actually you’re quite right about the 40mm equivalent lens being a bit ordinary, when I think back I used to keep a 35mm lens on my old 35mm film camera so the LX10’s 24 to 70mm (equivalent) lens suits me down to the ground.

As I say I rarely use the zoom, indeed I have a different camera (TZ110) for when a longer zoom might come in handy with a 10 times zoom but a slower lens (2.8 versus the LX10’s 1.4) - unfortunately a rarely used camera.

Interested to see the results and what you are going to use it for.

It kept me awake at night for 6 months or more:

shall I go for the GR3 with its 28mm lens, or the GR3X with its 40mm lens?

I decided on the latter for various reasons including more blurred backgrounds at bigger apertures.

And re apertures, it’s not the same across the board. I don’t know what f/1.4 on a 1" sensor is equivalent to on an APSC sensor. The answer is no doubt on the internet.

It’s therefore simple to establish a set of apertures equivalent to f/8 on full frame for the most commonly used sensor sizes. For APS-C (1.5x crop) it’s f/5.6; for micro four thirds (2x crop) it’s f/4; and for 1in (2.7x crop) it’s f/3.

I personally would always go for the wider lens, Blurring backgrounds is pretty easy to do with programs like Gimp if you keep in practice (I don’t).

However it is still not a camera for us happy snappers, I have to say my interest in serious photography waned before digital photography was a thing