Just came across Butter on a Stick

A slab of butter is coated with batter or breadcrumbs and deep fried.
Is this really a thing? Eating 100g? of real butter, deep fried?

I have heard of this. Personally, I think it would make me sick. :nauseated_face:

1 Like

Same here. I can not imagine eating a slab of butter. I would be rather ill if I did that. :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

United States

Abel Gonzales Jr., also known as “Fried Jesus”, of Dallas, Texas, invented deep-fried butter, serving it at the 2009 State Fair of Texas in Dallas, Texas. Prepared using frozen, battered butter, it was awarded the “Most Creative food prize” at that time.

A version of deep-fried butter on a stick debuted at the Iowa State Fair 2011, which was prepared using frozen butter that is dipped in a honey- and cinnamon- flavored batter, deep-fried until browned, and then topped with a confectioner’s sugar glaze. This concoction on a stick was invented by Larry Fyfe, an entrepreneur and concessionaire at the fair. Deep-fried butter has also been served on a stick at the State Fair of Texas.

In 2011 at the Orange County Fair in Costa Mesa, California, deep-fried butter was paired with chocolate-covered bacon (see below) and dubbed the “coronary combo.” ABC News made a comparison regarding the pricing of this food pairing, stating, “the $10.50 price rivaled some health plans’ co-payments for a visit to a cardiologist.” This dish has also been served at other events and venues, such as the State Fair of Virginia and the Musikfest music festival in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.

Yuk … :078:

1 Like

Yuk indeed. :face_vomiting:

1 Like

Send for the cholesterol tablets😀

2 Likes

Why?.. Just… Why?

1 Like

With my cooking hat on, I couldn’t see how you could fry it without the butter melting? :woman_cook:

But I see now the butter is frozen and the batter sweetened with toppings

In which case, it’s probably a bit like eating ice cream in batter? I would think it would taste quite bland and be very greasy

But let’s not get too superior about it, we are home to the battered Mars Bar 🫨😨

3 Likes

If my recollection is correct, that is Stonehaven on the east coast, where the fish & chip shop, The Bervie Chipper, lays claim to that delicacy. We all need a claim to fame. And a heart monitor.

2 Likes

Heart attack on a stick. :scream:

2 Likes

This photo shows more what it’s like to eat :fearful:

2 Likes

I feel … :face_vomiting:

3 Likes

You delicate little flower! :rofl:

2 Likes

I take it back, they trumps our Mars bars with deep fried Snickers and Oreos!

2 Likes

I’ve never seen it. It doesn’t sound or look good, but I watch those YouTube videos of snacks around the world. Many of those don’t look great to me either, but having not tried it, I can’t say.

Haggis, anyone?

2 Likes

Yes, please!

2 Likes

Butter on a stick , isn’t life short enuff already ?

2 Likes

Yes, not something I would eat. I watched the video of someone eating one. The butter had melted and was running out the back, all over the persons clothes.
Totally gross thing to eat.

I wouldn’t fancy it, sounds greasy, you’d end up with coated teeth!

But we do have to be careful about what is the worst healthwise, it can be tricksy

I suppose at least butter is an unprocessed food, allowed on Keto and it’s no trans fats or hydrogenated oils

And the batter’s probably just flour and water

It’s obviously not health food but it might not be any worse for your heart than that salted caramel sundae, or ultra processed ready meals :rofl:

1 Like