Just Back. Seeking Opinions

Apparently, I was up and moving before most. It was very crowded later in the day.

So what is it that you find peculiar?

It is missing one of your lovely paintings! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

What is unusual is that this is not a resort, hotel, or restaurant complex.

Then what might it be?

Hahaha. You might be closer to the truth than you know, but wine bottles in the upscale restaurant?

1 Like

Looks like an elderly residential home…

My first thought was, I wonder how many cleaners they have, I wouldn’t fancy cleaning that.

1 Like

Is it a Private Hospital? Or Care Home ?

1 Like

My first thought was that it looked like a Star Trek set!

But that lobby with the big windows looks so familiar

I wonder if it’s been used in a TV show?

1 Like

Are you checking this place out as a possibility for your mum perchance?

1 Like

Yes! It is Mayo Clinic, one of the most highly regarded hospitals in the country. I just returned from a week there with my daughter (she is fine; we are just transitioning to this hospital for care), and was astounded by what I saw: marble floors, expensive artwork, fireplaces, fountains, and warm welcoming places.

But I am of two minds; while this is an extraordinary facility - right down to beautiful original artwork, a gourmet restaurant with an extensive wine list, cozy waiting areas and hospital rooms - could this money be better spent on cures and treatment? Or is it worth it to provide seriously ill patients with lovely and peaceful surroundings? And do these design features and surrounds entice and keep talented physicians, nurses and technicians? :thinking:

Is this typical of the hospitals where you are?

These latest photos are screen grabs:

Standard hospital room.

Sleeping cubby for parents in pediatric wing. Windows open to the outdoors.

Screen Shot 2022-02-22 at 8.24.45 AM

Standard exam room. Sofas installed because it is anticipated that all patients will have at least one person with them.

1 Like

It’s certainly not typical of NHS hospitals here!

Although, to be fair, could people where you are afford to be treated there if their medical insurance didn’t cover it?

The lobby did remind me a lot of the Bristol heart hospital where my dad had his heart surgery, which is NHS

It’s a fantastic place. With state of the art technology and very modern but the emphasis is still more on treatment than luxurious

Well, if that’s a private hospital then some mugs are paying through the nose to fund it … :astonished:

2 Likes

Nothing new there SM. The best fire effects are from programmable LCD screens set into the fireplace.

2 Likes

My google search on my Heart condition often comes up with Mayo Clinic and I get a lot of info ,but ive never seen the inside , which amazes me looking at your photos , having said that Ive researched the cost for me to go Private for Heart Valve replacement and aortic Aneurysm repair here in England after my op was cancelled in 2020 ,the Valve replacement comes in at 20K, this is done in open Heart surgery.
If I paid that much then something like Mayo Clinic i would expect .The sparkling cleaness of the place would give me a lot of reassurance I would not pick up any germs.And that they care enough about their patients comfort while in there .
I guess i wouldnt be sharing a Toilet with a ward full of sometimes mixed patients .
Yes I would say its worth it Surfermum

Are we talking about impending surgery here?
Not a Nursing Home/Care Home…

Yes, Mayo works with people in financial need, helping them to get enrolled in Medicare or Medicaid before adjusting their payments. I do see the similarity and have noticed that other hospitals are likewise making these kinds of improvements. There is a price to pay for that though. Many small regional and community hospitals have closed their doors because of costs, so as nice as they are, people are having to drive farther to get to a hospital - quite a problem if you are having a massive heart attack or don’t have transportation.

This is for all sorts of care - heart, cancer, rare diseases, injury recovery, obstetrics - you name it. It is not a care home though.

The website indicates that Mayo Clinic is funded by grants from government organizations, foundations and individual donors. It is non-profit.

Philanthropists love donating pretty things - pianos, marble stairwells, etc., but no one gets warm and fuzzy about donating to the ugly conditions - schizophrenia, bipolar disorders, addiction, chronic homelessness due to psychiatric disorders, etc.

Hospitals like this (and there are many) are attractive, but should “philanthropic partners” (as it reads over the fireplace in the hospital below) be gently guided towards more critical groundbreaking research, or is the money better just as well spent on aesthetically calming places like this? And are nice hospitals drawing more patients that bring more money that ends up supporting more research?

I don’t know, but I felt a little guilty about the place being so lovely, and couldn’t help but wonder if the money could be better spent.

It’s not typical of the private hospital I stayed in for a hernia operation (paid for by the NHS) either. Your hospital looks more like a 5 or 6 star hotel than a hospital, Surfermom.

2 Likes

Maree
I had surgery done at Bristol Southmead ( I trapped my hand in the garage door argghhh)
It was fantastic full size trees growing and it was more like a futuristic art gallery than a hospital .

Ouch, I hope your hand recovered :open_mouth:

It is amazing, very science fiction. I think the emphasis is still more on treatments, technology and hygiene though, and it’s more like a hospital than a luxury hotel

For some reason I found it quite creepy, especially on the heart ward. I remember going to see dad just after his operation and all the men were sat up in bed with exactly the same bandage in exactly the same place