Juke Box Jury

Not many of these remain.
Sound not great.
David Mcallum still on NCIS!

American version

David Jacobs? Believe it or not, I was around 4 years of age and I remember this.

1 Like

Yeah.
I was three in 1960.
Remember the show.
Got revived…with Noel Edmonds?

I remember watching that particular show (Brit one) and wondered at the time why they were guests.They seemed to be too toffee nosed to be interested in pop and I didn’t agree with anything they said.

1 Like

Frederick ended up a drug smuggler and got shot.

2 Likes

Oi’ll give it foive.

3 Likes

Blimey … who’d have thought grumpy Frederik Jan Gustav Floris, Baron van Pallandt, would have got caught up in drug-smuggling in the Philippines before being executed, along with his Filipina girlfriend, by the “syndicate” … :scream:

On the other hand, Nina Magdelena Møller, Baroness von Pallandt, was so impossibly beautiful and elegant that fame seemed inevitable and, to a certain extent, it was. The lovely Nina appeared in several movies, including “The Long Goodbye” with Elliott Gould:

Johnny Tillotson:

I remember “Poetry In Motion” being a big HIT in the UK, staying at No 1 for 2 weeks before being knocked, unsurprisingly, off by Elvis with “Are You Lonesome Tonight?” (see later)

Ack. Wiki:

The song was written by Paul Kaufman (1930–1999) and Mike Anthony (born 1930), who said that the inspiration for it came from looking up from their work and seeing a procession of young ladies from a nearby school pass by on the sidewalk outside each afternoon. Bill Porter (1) supervised the recording session in Nashville, Tennessee, which featured saxophonist Boots Randolph (2), pianist Floyd Cramer (3) and bassist Floyd “Lightning” Chance. (4)

(1) Bill Porter (June 15, 1931 – July 7, 2010) was an American audio engineer who helped shape the Nashville sound and recorded stars such as Chet Atkins, Louis Armstrong, the Everly Brothers, Elvis Presley, Gladys Knight, Barbra Streisand, Diana Ross, Skeeter Davis, Ike & Tina Turner, Sammy Davis Jr., and Roy Orbison from the late 1950s through the 1980s. In one week of 1960, his recordings accounted for 15 of Billboard magazine’s Top 100, a feat none have matched. Porter’s engineering career included over 7,000 recording sessions, 300 chart records, 49 Top 10, 11 Number Ones, and 37 gold records.

(2) Homer Louis “Boots” Randolph III (June 3, 1927 – July 3, 2007) was an American musician best known for his 1963 saxophone hit “Yakety Sax” (which became Benny Hill’s signature tune). Randolph was a major part of the “Nashville sound” for most of his professional career. Randolph performed in hundreds of venues alongside many artists in pop, rock, jazz, and country music. He played on many recording sessions with Elvis Presley and also performed on soundtracks for a number of Presley’s motion pictures, one popular song being “Return to Sender”.

(3) Floyd Cramer (October 27, 1933 – December 31, 1997) was an American pianist who became famous for his use of melodic “half step” attacks. His signature playing style was a cornerstone of the pop-oriented “Nashville sound” of the 1950s and 1960s. Cramer’s “slip-note” or “bent-note” style, in which a passing note slides almost instantly into or away from a chordal note, influenced a generation of pianists. After Elvis Presley performed on Louisiana Hayride in 1955, he hired his own band which included Cramer, Jimmy Day, Scotty Moore, Bill Black, and D.J. Fontana. However, when Presley asked them to relocate to Hollywood, Cramer and Day declined to follow him there, preferring to remain in Nashville. By the next year he was, in his words, “in day and night doing session”. Before long, he was one of the busiest studio musicians in the industry, playing piano for stars such as Elvis Presley, Brenda Lee, Patsy Cline, the Browns, Jim Reeves, Eddy Arnold, Roy Orbison, Don Gibson, and the Everly Brothers, among others. It was Cramer’s piano playing, for instance, on Presley’s first RCA Victor single, “Heartbreak Hotel” and, later, Presley’s “Are You Lonesome Tonight?” (see earlier).

(4) Floyd Taylor Chance (21 December 1925 – 11 April 2005), often credited as Lightnin’ Chance, was an American session musician who played bass on many successful country and pop records, especially in the 1950s and 1960s. His bass playing can be heard on classic country music recordings including: “Your Cheatin’ Heart” (Hank Williams); “Bye Bye Love” (The Everly Brothers); “Hello Walls” (Faron Young); “It’s Only Make Believe” (Conway Twitty)" and “Poetry In Motion” (Johnny Tillotson). Chance died in 2005 at the age of 79.

Legendary Nashville musicians … :icon_cool:

2 Likes

I didn’t realize that she actually recorded one herself.

1 Like

Janice Nicholls was from Thank Your Lucky Stars, not Juke Box Jury

2 Likes

Interesting. Just Googled it and it seems I’m not the only person to be confused at this. :laughing:

1 Like