Jonnie Irwin: Place in the Sun and Escape to the Country presenter reveals he has terminal cancer

This is sad, I used to love watching Escape to the Country and always liked how he came across as a smart decent guy.

Isn’t it weird how it’s often the TV presenters we grew up watching are the ones we feel most sad about when something like this happens? Wonder if it’s in our biology to sort of see people we grew up with - even if on tele - a bit like family/community?

That is sad, he comes across as a really nice guy.
So many TV & people famous & fairly famous having cancer.

1 Like

Such a shame he and his wife have a young son and twin boys all under 4 I believe.

1 Like

it brought tears to my eyes when i read it , its the saddest thing hes not going to see his children grow up …
All the presenters on Escape to the Country come across as likable,freindly and sincere people .

1 Like

Yes Azz, I think it is that when the world around you is going mad, It is reassuring to switch on a nice simple to understand tele programme and forget everything, when one of the presenters suffers something terrible, part of your world escape is rattled. Imo.

1 Like

Very sad indeed. Seems a really nice guy.

1 Like

I see from the DM that the news is being kept from his co presenter, currently on I’m a Celebrity.

1 Like

That is awful news,his family must be heartbroken.

1 Like

I, too, am sad this heartless disease has befallen him. Mind, I am equally sad for the many thousands of non celebrity, ordinary, folk with terminal prognosis from this terrible condition. Go boffins! Find the cure.

3 Likes

RIP Jonnie…

RIP Jonnie.He was our favourite presenter on Escape to the Country.

1 Like

RIP Jonnie,will miss you

1 Like

Used to love watching him.
RIP

1 Like

RIP Jonnie, a sad loss.
I loved his outgoing and happy personality, he could have sold me a house anyday…

2 Likes

I always remember him saying that he was also a chartered surveyor, a handy thing to have, given the type of programme. He leaves three very young children, desperately sad news. Life is so cruel. RIP Jonnie.

1 Like

Very sad, I understand he leaves behind two young children.

1 Like