Joni Mitchell takes stage at all-star MusiCares tribute

Joni Mitchell takes stage at all-star MusiCares tribute

Singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell thrilled a Las Vegas audience on Friday by taking the stage during a rare public appearance to sing along with an all-star lineup of musicians who paid tribute to her pioneering career.

Artists from John Legend to Cyndi Lauper, Beck, Billy Porter, Mickey Guyton and Brandi Carlile performed favorite selections from Mitchell’s catalog at the annual MusiCares fundraising gala before the Grammys.

After nearly three hours of heartfelt speeches and performances, Mitchell stood on the stage in an MGM Grand ballroom somewhat speechless.

“It’s a very special evening. I don’t know what else to say. I don’t want to say I was honored. That’s obvious,” she said. “I was very impressed with the quality talent that was here tonight,” she added. “Everything was splendid.”

Mitchell then joined several of the night’s performers to sing along to two songs, “The Circle Game” and “Big Yellow Taxi.”

The Canadian-born musician, 78, has kept a low profile since suffering a brain aneurysm in 2015 that left her unable to speak or walk. On Friday, she walked with the assistance of a cane, which she tapped along to the music.

MusiCares, the charitable arm of the Recording Academy, raises funds to help musicians struggling with health and other issues. The group said it honored Mitchell as its person of the year because of her creative work, philanthropy and resilience.

Good for Joni … :+1:

It’s been a long, hard road for her since 2015 … :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Why, Omah?
What happened in 2015?

Sorry, skimmed the blurb and missed that paragraph.
What a scary and horrible experience.

1 Like

Joni was found unconscious on the floor of her home in Los Angeles.

1 Like

My favourite Mitchell song.

Joni Mitchell looked as determined as ever on Sunday as she made a rare appearance at the 2022 Grammy Awards ceremony at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

The 78-year-old music legend showed off her ongoing recovery from a devastating brain aneurysm seven years earlier as she took the red carpet on her own two feet, while assisted with a cane.

Although the singer and guitarist was able to stand on the red carpet and accept her award with just a cane, she still used a wheelchair to help her move longer distances at the ceremony.

Prior to the start of the broadcast, she was named the winner of Best Historical Album for Joni Mitchell Archives, Vol. 1: The Early Years (1963-1967), which charted her earliest years and featured 29 unreleased songs.

It also featured a 40-page booklet featuring vintage photos and a conversation between Joni and music journalist–turned–filmmaker Cameron Crowe.

Joni makes it out of the wheelchair … :+1:

:sunglasses: