John Lewis advert gets pulled

That’s OK Maree, you are welcome.

The problem these days, as I’ve seen for myself, some parents are not strict like that. Children get away with less than acceptable behaviour, it seems easier not to bother with discipline and as a result we have some ‘little brats’, as can often be seen at times.

It might sound harsh these days but the old saying comes to mind “spare the rod and spoil the child”. Not that I agree with the reference to ‘rod’ and its obvious connotations but I am sure most will understand the meaning of strict but fair discipline.
:grinning:

1 Like

Well, like I mentioned before when this was brought up, I would have shoved a mop and cleaner in his hands before he got the chance to flop all over the sofa!

Little irritant! :joy:

3 Likes

Awful advert, glad it’s been pulled

2 Likes

How would you come off making a Claim on your house Insurance (contents) if an unruly child deliberately ruined household items

I know of someone had a claim null invoid when his Dog chewed up his car seat.

1 Like

I agree that ad was in bad taste, but I bet that lad really enjoyed making it & I don’t think he really is the brat he was acting. He’s probably a very nice kid.

Oh yes, it’s just an advert and he did the part well, I bet it was fun. He’s not a brat

But if a kid acted like that in real life, then I think he would be :joy:

1 Like

I don’t think they’d pay out if you told the truth about it

If a kid acted like that in real life, he’d get an ASBO. :grinning:

1 Like

I often feel that ads influence people’s behaviour, so an ad like that is telling children it is ok to behave like that. The mother just sat there, so people would think “It is Ok to let your kids make a mess.”
If any child behaved like that with me, they would have not been allowed out again till the place was restored to how it looked before & I would alson expect him to write a sincere apology to his sister.

I know it was just an ad, bit I think it also demonstrates how awful some undisciplined children can be!

1 Like

Or an ASSKICK from me :rofl:

1 Like

It’s a disgrace, I mean the advert is bad enough, but nanny orders JL to pull it!

What happened to freedom of speech.

1 Like

marciniak

15m

I don’t think they’d pay out if you told the truth about it

I wonder if that’s the reason the Advert was cancelled.

It does give the impression of cover for deliberate damage by a minor

strong text**

1 Like

Brats such as that one abound where I live. The places to see them are in supermarkets and their associated car parks where the parent(s) exercise little or no control over their little darlings. Many a time I have seen my wife trying her best to contain what she would like to say but refrained.

1 Like

But they weren’t told to withdraw it because of it’s controversial content.

They were told to withdraw it because it was misleading and implied John Lewis insurance would cover intentional damage by children, which it doesn’t.

“This advert has been withdrawn because the Financial Conduct Authority considers the content to be potentially misleading and could cause customers to be confused about John Lewis’s new home contents insurance offering.”

We don’t want to give companies freedom of speech to misrepresent their products in order to sell them.

1 Like

Yes, I think that’s why they were told to withdraw it. Misleading about what their policy covers

1 Like

Oh I see.

I thought it was just maybe regarded un-pc or something.

Yes, it certainly was by an awful lot of people
:joy:

I didn’t have a problem with it from that point of view and while the kids behaviour got on my nerves I wouldn’t have demanded it got withdrawn for that

But I thinking being made to withdraw it because it’s misleading is fair enough

Mind you, John Lewis got a lot of free publicity over it, didn’t they?

Yep … and it’s that time of year for a controversial JL xmas ad. :laughing:

JUST A WARNING…
I got my home contents cover years ago , via my bank, who it seems obviously got paid for the number of policies it sold! That arrangement has now come to an end so they offered to quote me on a new policy. The original quote was for £27 per month & is now down to £9 per month, so it sounded good …BUT
there are now excesses of up to £350 for damaged goods that I have to pay.
You now need an expert to understand what you home contents insurance covers and what it doesn’t! :icon_surprised:

1 Like

That’s interesting, thank you, you’ve gotta read the small print

I don’t think the damage this kid in the advert did would have come to £350, unless that case was Ming, so does the John Lewis use an excess?