John Lewis advert gets pulled

So the John Lewis ad which caused such hoo ha has been withdrawn.

Did you see it? It’s the one where a young boy puts on a dress and acts like a diva creating havoc.
People were complaining about it sexualising children but I didn’t see it that way

What I saw was a kid being a bit of a brat, bullying his sister and spoiling her paints. (and her creativity is just as important as his)

And damaging things in the house.

John Lewis got told to pull the ad because it suggested they’d pay out for deliberate damage. And quite right too. I wouldn’t want my premiums to go up to cover paying out people who let their kid run amok!

2 Likes

Link doesn’t work for me @Maree :thinking:

The link doesn’t work for me either, something about not being found on the Google server. However, I found the video below on YouTube. This may be one and the same, no idea but perhaps Maree might know?

1 Like

Oh yes, that’s much better, that’s the one, thank you so much for that :heart_eyes:

You see what I mean, what a brat! I don’t mind him dressing up but pinching my things without asking and doing all that mess and damage?

If he were mine he’d be spending the next half hour clearing up after himself and not expecting a woman to do it for him :joy:

1 Like

This why it got pulled. I think it’s for the best!

John Lewis told to withdraw advert

1 Like

That’s OK Maree, you are welcome.

The problem these days, as I’ve seen for myself, some parents are not strict like that. Children get away with less than acceptable behaviour, it seems easier not to bother with discipline and as a result we have some ‘little brats’, as can often be seen at times.

It might sound harsh these days but the old saying comes to mind “spare the rod and spoil the child”. Not that I agree with the reference to ‘rod’ and its obvious connotations but I am sure most will understand the meaning of strict but fair discipline.
:grinning:

1 Like

Well, like I mentioned before when this was brought up, I would have shoved a mop and cleaner in his hands before he got the chance to flop all over the sofa!

Little irritant! :joy:

3 Likes

Awful advert, glad it’s been pulled

2 Likes

How would you come off making a Claim on your house Insurance (contents) if an unruly child deliberately ruined household items

I know of someone had a claim null invoid when his Dog chewed up his car seat.

1 Like

I agree that ad was in bad taste, but I bet that lad really enjoyed making it & I don’t think he really is the brat he was acting. He’s probably a very nice kid.

Oh yes, it’s just an advert and he did the part well, I bet it was fun. He’s not a brat

But if a kid acted like that in real life, then I think he would be :joy:

1 Like

I don’t think they’d pay out if you told the truth about it

If a kid acted like that in real life, he’d get an ASBO. :grinning:

1 Like

I often feel that ads influence people’s behaviour, so an ad like that is telling children it is ok to behave like that. The mother just sat there, so people would think “It is Ok to let your kids make a mess.”
If any child behaved like that with me, they would have not been allowed out again till the place was restored to how it looked before & I would alson expect him to write a sincere apology to his sister.

I know it was just an ad, bit I think it also demonstrates how awful some undisciplined children can be!

1 Like

Or an ASSKICK from me :rofl:

1 Like

It’s a disgrace, I mean the advert is bad enough, but nanny orders JL to pull it!

What happened to freedom of speech.

1 Like

marciniak

15m

I don’t think they’d pay out if you told the truth about it

I wonder if that’s the reason the Advert was cancelled.

It does give the impression of cover for deliberate damage by a minor

strong text**

1 Like

Brats such as that one abound where I live. The places to see them are in supermarkets and their associated car parks where the parent(s) exercise little or no control over their little darlings. Many a time I have seen my wife trying her best to contain what she would like to say but refrained.

1 Like

But they weren’t told to withdraw it because of it’s controversial content.

They were told to withdraw it because it was misleading and implied John Lewis insurance would cover intentional damage by children, which it doesn’t.

“This advert has been withdrawn because the Financial Conduct Authority considers the content to be potentially misleading and could cause customers to be confused about John Lewis’s new home contents insurance offering.”

We don’t want to give companies freedom of speech to misrepresent their products in order to sell them.

1 Like

Yes, I think that’s why they were told to withdraw it. Misleading about what their policy covers

1 Like