Jimmy Greaves RIP

Football legend and pundit Jimmy Greaves has died following a long illness.

Jimmy Greaves: Ex-Tottenham & England striker dies aged 81

1 Like

I loved Greavsie A fantastic striker one of the best and I loved saint and greavsie show always a good laugh RIP Jimmy Greaves

4 Likes

It just flashed up on my phone. How sad :cry:. His name always takes me back to my youth club when I was about 13, and one of the girls there telling me Jimmy Greaves was her cousin. We were all very impressed! RIP Jimmy Greaves.

1 Like

That’s such sad news.

Fantastic player! He had a good innings. RIP

I vaguely remember Jimmy Greaves was the most hated soccer player in Britain when I was young. He went to play for an Italian club, only murdering the Queen would have been considered more treacherous at the time.

I hope I am not thinking of the wrong person, I take it he has been forgiven.

1 Like

Just looked, he went to Milan in the early 60’s almost unheard of at the time, probably considered traitorous at the time.

1 Like

I don’t think so, Jimmy only played for England. He scored more hat-ricks than anyone else. 6 if I’m not mistaken.

Update: well I learnt something new. I didn’t know that he played for Milan

From wiki.

He scored 124 First Division goals in just four seasons before being sold on to Italian club A.C. Milan for £80,000 in April 1961. His stay in Italy was not a happy one and he returned to England with Tottenham Hotspur for a fee of £99,999 in December 1961.

1 Like

I thought it was him, he was hated by soccer fans at the time, no one had ever done it before.

1 Like

he had an interesting career in football and life

Whilst playing for Tottenham Hotspur Greaves took out a £1,000 bank loan to start a packing business with his brother-in-law. By the end of his playing career this company had an annual turnover of over £1 million. Greaves married Irene Barden at Romford register office on 26 March 1958 and, though the pair went through a divorce process at the height of his alcoholism, it was never finalised and they reunited after three months apart .Jimmy and Irene renewed their vows on 7 September 2017 in Essex.

4 Likes

Sad news.
But we seem to forget that the hero’s of our youth are getting older.
He was undeniably a great striker. Shame he never got to play in the World Cup final

A certain Sir Robert got to wear the no9.

I’ve never been a fan of football but he always seemed to me to be a decent, likeable sort of bloke.
RIP Jimmy Greaves.

1 Like

My feelings too. R.I.P.

1 Like

somebody has to be first though… :wink:

1 Like

No football interest here but certainly well known none the less…always sad to see a name pass on that your familiar
with…RIP

1 Like

As a little girl I used to remember my dad watching this show on the tv.
Me and my mum were sent to the kitchen while it was on to do girlie stuff like cooking

RIP

2 Likes

Same here. I’m not all that into football, but used to watch the Saint and Greavsie show for the laughs and banter. The chemistry between them both was great.

RIP Jimmy.

1 Like