Jasmine Hartin case

ATM, Jasmine Hartin is on bail thus avoiding prison time.

Jasmine Hartin, 33, is also accused of plotting to assassinate the magistrate overseeing her child custody battle with former partner Andrew Ashcroft, the son of Britain’s Lord Ashcroft.

The mom-of-two has become increasingly frustrated with Belizean authorities, claiming she’s being unfairly blocked from seeing twins Charlie and Elle while she waits to go on trial for the May 2021 manslaughter of Henry Jemmott.

She was detained Thursday night after Commissioner of Police Chester Williams said he received information suggesting an unnamed woman had hired a Belize City street gang to carry out the contract killings.

An attorney for Hartin confirmed she was the individual under suspicion but dismissed the allegations as ‘preposterous’ and expressed confidence she would be exonerated.

Hartin was released without charge on Friday evening, her mother Candice Castiglione confirmed to DailyMail.com.

‘These allegations are absurd, untrue and a blatant abuse of power,’ Castiglione said. ‘It’s yet another instance of the so-called justice system here in Belize victimizing Jasmine and smearing her reputation.’

The latest shocking episode in the Hartin soap opera comes as she prepares to stand trial later this year over the death of Superintendent Jemmott, who was mysteriously shot in the head with his own service pistol.

While cops have been tight-lipped about the plot, the allegations appear to stem in some part from a statement given by Lionel Neal, who claims he worked as Hartin’s security guard and allegedly overheard her saying she hoped ‘these a**holes would all die.’

Hartin filed a complaint to police Tuesday claiming she fired Neal after he came into her bedroom, pulled down her sleeping shorts and performed a sexual act. She claimed he responded by threatening her with a pair of scissors and vowing to lie about her to police.

‘He told me he was going to lie … and tell them that I meant to murder Henry Jemmott and tried to kill a few other people as well.’ He promised this would happen unless I pay him a ($1,000),’ she wrote in a statement obtained by DailyMail.com.

Neil is charged with burglary and attempted rape but in his own statement he claimed he and Hartin had been having an affair and she invited him to sleep with her.

That was three weeks ago … :astonished:

Two days ago:

https://caribbean.loopnews.com/content/belize-murder-accused-jasmin-hartin-threatening-top-cop

Unbelievable … :open_mouth:

Either Jasmine Martin is mad or the subject of a convoluted conspiracy … :017:

The former daughter-in-law of billionaire Lord Ashcroft has described trying to ‘wiggle out from under him’ after the police chief she shot dead in the tropical paradise of Belize collapsed on top of her.

Jasmine Hartin, 33, said there was a ‘loud bang’ and then ‘Henry fell back on top of me… I could see blood and feel the blood’.

Hartin, who is charged with manslaughter by negligence, said: 'I tried to wiggle out from under him.

‘And that’s when he started slipping into the water and I tried to catch him and of course he was a lot bigger than me so I couldn’t hold him up.’

In a sensational interview with TalkTV interview with Piers Morgan, set to air later today, Hartin said Jemmott’s death was ‘still very difficult to talk about’ because it was a ‘horrible night that changed everyone’s lives and ended some’.

Hartin also told Morgan she is ‘definitely not a murderer’, claimed she ‘doesn’t remember touching the trigger of the weapon’ and suggested the gun could have gone off because it was ‘rusty’.

She said: 'It don’t ever remember touching the trigger of the weapon, But I was holding it when it went off.

‘I’m not sure if it was a faulty weapon or not. I really can’t tell you how it went off.’

She said the Belizean police chief had earlier shown her his Glock 17 pistol while advising her to get a gun to defend herself because he ‘believed she needed protection’.

She claimed he wanted her to ‘practise unloading and reloading’ the weapon and told her to ‘get familiar with it’.

Piers Morgan Uncensored: Death on the Dock, TalkTV at 8pm Monday (Sky 526, Virgin Media 627, Freeview 237, Freesat 217 and Sky Glass 508) and live and on demand on the TalkTV app and at Talk.TV

Наrtіn іѕ dеfеndеd bу соunѕеl Rісhаrd “Dісkіе” Вrаdlеу whіlе Dіrесtоr оf Рublіс Рrоѕесutіоnѕ Сhеrуl-Lуnn Vіdаl арреаrеd fоr hеr оffісе.

Тhе Саnаdіаn-bоrn ѕосіаlіtе іѕ ассuѕеd оf nеglіgеntlу hаndlіng а fіrеаrm аnd саuѕіng thе dеаth оf Јеmmоtt оn а ріеr іn Ѕаn Реdrо Тоwn, Аmbеrgrіѕ Сауе. Ѕhе іnѕіѕtѕ іt wаѕ рurеlу ассіdеntаl.

Саѕе mаnаgеmеnt hаѕ bееn ѕеt fоr Ѕерtеmbеr 27 wіth а trіаl dаtе tо bе аgrееd оn fоr а lаtеr tіmе.

Вrаdlеу іndісаtеd tо оur соurt rероrtеr thаt іt іѕ nоt сlеаr whеthеr thе саѕе wіll bе trіеd bу а јurу оr bу а јudgе аlоnе аѕ thе lеgіѕlаtіоn whісh tаrgеtѕ trіаl bу јudgе іn саѕеѕ оf murdеr аnd mаnѕlаughtеr іѕ nоt ѕресіfіс оn mаnѕlаughtеr bу nеglіgеnсе. Іn рrасtісе, ѕuсh саѕеѕ hаvе bееn trіеd bу а јurу, but thеrе іѕ thе соnсеrn оf рrе-trіаl рublісіtу аffесtіng thе сhаnсе tо оbtаіn а truе аnd hоnеѕt vеrdісt frоm а nіnе-mеmbеr јurу.

Earlier in the month, Hartin relocated from the island of Caye Caulker to an undisclosed location after a request for the terms of her bail to be altered was successful. That request was made because she reportedly felt that her life was in danger. On July 8, the Supreme Court allowed a change in the location at which she is required to sign in three times a week.

It would not surprise me if her life was in danger it’s a pretty dangerous place altogether .

I can have no sympathy because if you handle guns when you are drunk, or high on drugs, you should still be considered responsible for your actions.
If anybody thinks that is unreasonable, then we would be giving them a licence to do what they want when intoxicated or high!

It’s about intent though isn’t it the woman didn’t mean to kill him although she did .
This is quite common in the Caribbean the only reason it’s in the news is because she is Lord Ashcroft’s daughter in law,

Sorry but I believe that if you are stupid enough to allow weapons to be handled when you are drinking or taking drugs then you should be responsible for your actions.
I get bored with all the gun stories in the news , because all they do is encourage people to carry guns for their own defense ! If they do , then surely it encourages them to use them when it is not really necessary.
If I lived in a place where I thought people were likely to kill me, I would move to somewhere where I felt safer!

I missed this:

Aug 23, 2022

The 33-year-old from eastern Ontario has been cleared of plotting to murder Commissioner of Police Chester Williams and Magistrate Dale Cayetano, who is overseeing her child custody case.

Channel 7 Belize noted that when Hartin was arrested for allegedly plotting to kill the two officials, she had a bemused look on her face. Probably because the allegations appeared so ludicrous.

Now, Williams himself has exonerated her. He admitted the police have been unable to find any evidence to confirm the plot.

“I’m sure the entire media and public are aware that myself and the director of the national family court were allegedly threatened by her,” Williams told reporters. “In terms of the matter with Jasmine Hartin, we have investigated that matter and we did not come up with anything credible to show that the threat was actually made or if the threat was real.”

Hartin told Channel 7 that she was grateful the matter was dropped, “however, the damage that has been done locally and internationally from being named in such a despicable plot has caused a domino effect,” she said. “These allegations have been used against me in my custody hearing, and I have lost friendships and jobs over his irresponsible actions. It makes me wonder what his motive was for my wrongful detention in the first place.”

What next … :question:

AFAIK, Jasmine Hartin’s “Manslaughter by Negligence” trial is due to begin on April 25, 2023.

As I have said before don’t believe she murdered that bloke .
They were drinking mates .
Drink and guns don’t mix .

Yes I do know .
I used to volunteer there in the young offenders department as a teacher .
I had quite a lot to do with the prisoners as the humane society used the old pig sties as homes for recused dogs .
But it was taken over by a philanthropist whose aim is rehabilitation and humane treatment
But make no mistake there are very dangerous people in there.

A month ago:

Outside the court, Hartin said: “I just want Henry’s family to have peace now and I want this whole thing behind all of us so we can heal,” Channel 5 Belize news reported.

The channel also reported that Hartin asked the court for a sentence indication and the judge explained there is a likelihood that she could be handed a non-custodial sentence, which would be a fine and or compensation to the family.

Hartin’s attorney, Orson ‘OJ’ Elrington, told reporters his client’s main concern “was to not put the family of the victim through the anguish of having to go through a trial proceeding, so she consistently expressed her concern about that”.

The sentence hearing is expected to take place on 31 May, according to Channel 5 Belize.

It also reported Mr Elrington saying that because Hartin opted to plead guilty, the judge is expected to stick to his word of giving her a non-custodial sentence.

The Belizean courthouse heard during the trial that the legal precedence of a guilty plea for the offence in question was not custodial but rather a fine.

The judge said he was unlikely to ‘veer away’ from the precedent but had warned Hartin in an earlier hearing that he was ‘not bound’ by it.

Her appearance on Thursday will come after the judge has received a socio-economic report on Hartin, which will be used to determine the size of the fine.

Hartin’s voice trembled as she stood in the small wooden dock to enter her last-minute plea in the packed courtroom last month.

Outside court, Hartin said: ‘I just want Henry’s family to have peace now and I want this whole thing to be behind all of us so we can heal.’

Also attending court were the dead officer’s sisters and his daughter, who have stoically attended court proceedings since he was killed almost two years ago and maintained that they do not believe the shooting was accidental.

His sister, Cherry Jemmott, told CBS’s 48 Hours that her brother would never treat his gun in such a cavalier way.

Will the truth ever be known … :question:

I’ve wondered about this case , they were friends supposedly , maybe it was a stupid accident , maybe drink drugs involved . But then why did he wear a loaded gun on a social night out .

This sort of things is common in the Caribbean .
People do carry guns and are careless handling them .
Accidental shootings happen frequently , the reason this is news is that she was the long time partner of Lord Ashcroft son.
These are the lords of Belize very high profile over there ,

1 Like

Jasmine Hartin, 34, was handed a £30,000 fine and 300 hours of community service, according to local reports.

Under the sentence handed down by the Belize’s high court, Hartin must pay $75,000 BZD within 12 months, or face a potential prison sentence of 12 months, according to Channel 5 Belize.

She must also рrоduсе а vіdео warning against the dangers of drunkenness and mishandling firearms, according to Breaking Belize News.

Presumably, the crime was just a tragic accident - there’s no reason for it not to be - but Henry Jemmott’s family have been deprived of a loved one, she’s lost her children to Andrew Ashcroft and she’s lost her standing and means of support in Belize so the future doesn’t look bright.

I would imagine Ashcroft will pay it he is Uber rich and he probaby wants to spare his son and grandchildren anymore angst .
I agree that the future for her doesn’t look bright .

This is out-of-date but I’m on a recent temporary subscription to the Times and have only just found it.

Saturday June 10 2023

Late on a hot, insect-filled night in central America, and after 24 hours in a stinking cell, Jasmine Hartin started off on foot along a dark road towards the Mexican border.

The previous night she had slept on a concrete floor beside a cellmate named Betty who was being questioned about a murder. Once in the night she felt a rat scuttle over her body and every so often she was woken by guards taking pictures of her with their phones. Now, walking along the dark road with her luggage and two companions, “I was like a walking zombie,” she recalled. “It didn’t really hit me, the realisation that I’m actually free of Belize.”

When Hartin was sentenced for the death of Superintendent Henry Jemmott, Judge Ricardo Sandcroft fined her 75,000 Belize dollars (£30,000) and ordered her to complete 300 hours of community service and to make a public-service film about the dangers of drinking and handling firearms. He gave her a year to do these things: in the meantime she would be given back her passport.

But she did not get it back. A court registrar said she had to pay part of her fine first, but continued to refuse even after she arranged, with the help of a friend, to pay the entire sum to the court via her lawyer, Orson Elrington. The registrar blamed a court clerk for the delay and the clerk blamed the registrar, according to Hartin, 34. In her view, “they were purposefully delaying . . . which made me think they were concocting more charges against me”.

The Canadian embassy investigated her case, concluded that she was no longer subject to any travel restrictions and issued her with an emergency travel document. But by now she was nervous of going through the main international airport in Belize.

So Hartin, with her friend and spokeswoman Louisa Chiaramonte and Chiaramonte’s adult daughter, Mia, travelled to the town of Santa Elena, on Belize’s northern border, hoping to cross quietly into Mexico.

She said an immigration official directed her into the office of the commander of Belize’s northern border station. A police officer was there too.

She was asked for a series of documents, which she says she provided. When it became clear that she was not only being turned back but would be held, she called the Canadian embassy. Then more police officers arrived. She was driven to the police station in the nearby town of Corozal and placed in a 6ft by 7ft cell, she said. “This was the worst cell I have ever been in, and I have been in many now.” There were cockroaches and rats and a bucket for a lavatory. The cell had a window, 10ft from the floor, but there was no breeze. Male guards were sent to check on her and took their own photos.

The following day, after declining to take a shower in a cubicle where someone had defecated on the floor, she was questioned by six police officers. At first it was asserted that she was travelling using forged documents; then that the problem involved the transfer of funds to pay the fine via her Belize lawyer, Elrington. At this point Elrington said over the phone that he could intervene and clear the whole matter up for an extra 3,000 Belize dollars (£1,200) payable to him, she said.

Hartin told Elrington she preferred to spend another night in the cell, because under Belizean law the police could not hold her for more than 48 hours without charge, and save the 3,000 dollars. She was put back in the cell, this time alone.

However, that evening she was released. “I got on the phone with the Canadian embassy,” Hartin said. “They told me, ‘Get out of the country immediately’. I told them, ‘I need to bathe’.” Mia told Hartin that when she got into a car with her, “the stench was overwhelming”.

Hartin showered at the hotel where Chiaramonte and Mia had been staying and put the clothes she was wearing into a bag to be burnt.

Back at the last Belizean border checkpoint they were all allowed through, except for their taxi driver whose permit had expired. So, dragging their luggage, they started walking towards Mexico. After a while they were passed by a Jamaican-Belizean taxi driver who stopped and offered them a lift for the last two miles to Mexican immigration, where they were admitted after a short delay.

Blimey, how Jasmine copes with all the malicious charges and false imprisonments in filthy cells is beyond me … :astonished:

I’ll try to find out what happened next in this ongoing drama … :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

you mean rightnow???

she’s probably experiencing her own drug rehab program and will come out squeeky clean!