Jams, Jellies and Chutneys

Thrilled that you like it too. The jam is easy to make but tastes awesome. It is one of our best sellers on the market. Trouble is getting hold of a goodly amount of rhubarb, lucky to find it frozen in Asda so I shall still be able to make it during the winter months.

Had homemade elderflower & rosehip jelly last night on water biscuits and chunks of cheese :slight_smile: The jelly was superb but its made by my landladys mother and she wont reveal the recipe lol I bet if I made it i’d notice a missing secret ingredient!! Its really nice in a bolognese style meat with the jelly in and some Scotch bonnet and the jelly gives is a strange sweetness but the afterkick then takes over!! Unlike a very strong curry it doesn’t get so hot that your nostrils burn! Its just so nice and not the sort of thing i’d generally bother making.

I can now call myself an Artisan Marmalade Maker. We won an award which will be given to us on Wednesday. Of course the fact that we can put a silver roundal on our jars is exciting enough but to get an award is awesome.

Daleman Cumbria www.marmaladeawards.com

Congratulations Cate :slight_smile: I will read the site with interest :cool:.

I have made 18 jars of tawny marmalade this year with my own recipe and it is interesting to see how other people make it.

Meg, there are people from all over the world entering this festival, some who make just a few jars for themselves or people like us who make very small batches in an old fashioned way but sell to the public.

I was interested to see some of the flavours. What do you put in your tawny marmalade?

Congratulations Cate darlin’.

Cate :slight_smile: I just use Seville oranges/soft brown sugar both light and dark/water , that’s all.
I use a higher proportion of oranges to other ingredients than is usual so don’t need lemons for pectin.

I like the marmalade quite tart and reduce the sugar content, it does take slightly longer to set doing this though. I made three lots and they are all slightly different.
My muslin of twenty years disintegrated when I boiled it to sterilise so I am now using muslin nappies (new not used :lol:).

Thanks Uncle Joe we really are like a couple of cats who got the cream…:mini::mini::mini::mini:

I usually strain my jellies through a pillow case, in a bucket covered overnight. I make crab apple jelly and a rather nice breakfast jelly with apples, oranges and lemons it is very clear and bright to look at first thing.

Cate :slight_smile: for boiling the pips and pith a muslin nappy is good size , I don’t think I would get a pillow case in the pan.

OOps misunderstood Meg…I have some little muslin bags for that. I bet nappies would be cheaper, they are not used much nowadays.

Well done Cate. It must make you very pround.

Thanks mesco we are as proud as punch.

We put five of our products into the festival as I have already said (i am boring everyone) I won the silver for the lemon bronze for the lemon/orange (St.Clements) just discovered that my own baby OLA a breakfast jelly made of Apple, Orange and Lemon won a commendatio. It is hard work and quite tricky to get right so I was thrilled. I also got a commendation for my Seville Orange Marmalade.

So silly we entered my favourtie orange, grapefruit and ginger and didn’t get anyithing. Which plays on my mind most??? Correct. What was wrong with my OGG?

Cate darlin’ - I’m sure there’s nothing wrong with it - just the judges, taste buds.

Joe, I am being absolutely daft. I only expected maybe one commendation from this very important festival so I am walking on air.

I remember years ago having a glut of green tomatoes and so made some green tomato chutney, unfortunately forget the recipe but am sure it will be on-line somewhere. On the subject of jams etc, being type II I use sugar free or reduced sugar varieties and wonder why is it that sometimes, once the jam/marmalade has been started, a little pool of liquid forms in the jar? Is it because of the reduced sugar?

I’m afraid I couldn’t answer that with certainty but I would think so. To get a good set it is important to get the right amount of fruit to jam. You boil the two together until it reaches 105c and if you have it right then the jam will set and be jammy and will stay jammy in your jar.

If you use pectins or other setting agents to ‘set’ your jam then you will find that after the air has got to the jam it will beging to melt and instead of being jammy it will be runny.

I do not believe in sugar free or reduced sugar jam as if you study the label you will find many hidden sugars and additives. My husband is also type two diabetes sufferer but he swears that if you eat a good extra jam that is more fruit to sugar ratio the taste is so good you don’t need so much and you reduce your own sugars.

Anything ending in ose on the label such as fructose, sucrose are in fact sugar these products should be eaten with care particularly by diabetics.

Sugar is sugar and although it is not healthy it is honest it preserves and makes things taste nice. I cannot say this about artificial sweetners.

I enjoy making some of the more unsusal jams, pickles etc… often from forraged berries etc…

Sloe & apple jelly is excellent as is Rowan jelly. Elderberry pickle is great with meats such as gammon. Clementine marmalade is very easy to make and has a vibrant orange colour.

There are some great ideas there Grumblewagon. Don’t do much forraging these days with me knees but I must say the idea of the Elderberry pickle methinks I may have to get some younger forragers interested.