Jams, Jellies and Chutneys

That is a really good idea and sounds like a keeper. I usually add a few chilli flakes to chutneys and one day I must have gone overboard with the ‘few’ in fact I must have put in two lots of ‘few’ when I tasted it I said ‘Good grief, this is as hot as hell’ when I came to look at the labels that my hubs had put on the jars, there it was ‘As hot as hell, rhubarb chutney’ Now I have to make it all the time as people seem to prefer the hot as hell to the norm.

Have you tried beetroot chutney it is sweet and maybe your hubs would like it.

I havent tried Beetroot chutney, but i may wel do sometime soon,

I am looking for a simple Lime Pickle , i found one which had only 6 / 7 ingrediants ,it was an indian reciepe,anyone know which one i mean please? i would apreciate it very much,

I googled simple lime pickle and this was the one which had just a few ingredients. Sorry couldn’t be more help

Hya Cookiecate , thank you , for that link, i have saved it, i will get all the ingredients together & let you know how it turns out, thanx again,
Have a good day xxxxxxxx

Hope it turns out well. I shall be making piccalli next week and today I am doing rhubarb and ginger jam, so thank you for your good wishes, I might need them.

Hi Cookiecate, i made piccalli 3 weeks ago, just had some today, & its far better than shop bought, you will make it a success, i am sure,
Now rhubarb and ginger jam sounds good , have lots of rhubarb in the garden, could you please share the reciepe ? have fun ,

I would love to get hold of your rhubarb the stuff in the shops makes the jam a greeny muddy colour where as home grown is a lovely pink. Of course I will give you my recipe.

First you need to prepare and chop 2 1/2 lbs of rhubarb, put this in a pot and add 2 1/2 lbs of sugar the juice of two lemons and leave it over night.

In the morning add 1oz of grated root ginger and simmer the mixture until the sugar has all melted then bring it to the rolling boil for about ten mins. Add 4oz of chrystalised giner chopped and boil for a further minute until setting point is reached don’t forget to add a knob of butter during boiling as this stops a lot of scum forming.

When setting point is reached pour it into clean warm jars and put the lids on straight away to form a good seal.

You will love it particularly poured over vanilla ice cream or on crumpets or scones or in fact anything you like.

Thank you Cookiecate for that reciepe, i made it , & you are so right , i love it, & it took all the rhubarb we had left in garden,i did one thing to it , i greated the rine’d of a lemon into it,then used the lemon to sqeeze into the jam, its yummy, thank you again
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thrilled that you like it too. The jam is easy to make but tastes awesome. It is one of our best sellers on the market. Trouble is getting hold of a goodly amount of rhubarb, lucky to find it frozen in Asda so I shall still be able to make it during the winter months.

Had homemade elderflower & rosehip jelly last night on water biscuits and chunks of cheese :slight_smile: The jelly was superb but its made by my landladys mother and she wont reveal the recipe lol I bet if I made it i’d notice a missing secret ingredient!! Its really nice in a bolognese style meat with the jelly in and some Scotch bonnet and the jelly gives is a strange sweetness but the afterkick then takes over!! Unlike a very strong curry it doesn’t get so hot that your nostrils burn! Its just so nice and not the sort of thing i’d generally bother making.

I can now call myself an Artisan Marmalade Maker. We won an award which will be given to us on Wednesday. Of course the fact that we can put a silver roundal on our jars is exciting enough but to get an award is awesome.

Daleman Cumbria www.marmaladeawards.com

Congratulations Cate :slight_smile: I will read the site with interest :cool:.

I have made 18 jars of tawny marmalade this year with my own recipe and it is interesting to see how other people make it.

Meg, there are people from all over the world entering this festival, some who make just a few jars for themselves or people like us who make very small batches in an old fashioned way but sell to the public.

I was interested to see some of the flavours. What do you put in your tawny marmalade?

Congratulations Cate darlin’.

Cate :slight_smile: I just use Seville oranges/soft brown sugar both light and dark/water , that’s all.
I use a higher proportion of oranges to other ingredients than is usual so don’t need lemons for pectin.

I like the marmalade quite tart and reduce the sugar content, it does take slightly longer to set doing this though. I made three lots and they are all slightly different.
My muslin of twenty years disintegrated when I boiled it to sterilise so I am now using muslin nappies (new not used :lol:).

Thanks Uncle Joe we really are like a couple of cats who got the cream…:mini::mini::mini::mini:

I usually strain my jellies through a pillow case, in a bucket covered overnight. I make crab apple jelly and a rather nice breakfast jelly with apples, oranges and lemons it is very clear and bright to look at first thing.

Cate :slight_smile: for boiling the pips and pith a muslin nappy is good size , I don’t think I would get a pillow case in the pan.

OOps misunderstood Meg…I have some little muslin bags for that. I bet nappies would be cheaper, they are not used much nowadays.

Well done Cate. It must make you very pround.