Is your writing style diffferent than your speaking style?

I write very poorly but not a great speaker either, more a chatter box.
I need to write a lot of things I do onto paper, obviously Ancestry has to be jotted down,although once you enter the details onto an ancestry site it looks really shipshape…
Husband reminds me if I am writing out an address on an envelope to make sure it is readable…what a cheek… :innocent:.

1 Like

Writing I’m likely to use language I wouldn’t normally use in conversation. That comes from having to think more as you type, than you do if you speak. So, yes I would say my writing style is very different.

1 Like

@d00d , Me mate used to say " shyte a brick" quite a lot!!!:grin::grin:
Donkeyman! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Danny…now I would not think of swearing in a letter…it usually happens if I bang my foot or something like a wall jumps out at me. :innocent:

1 Like

As a rule I try not to swear. I have a huge problem with rules.

Didn’t see anything about swearing in the first post, but depending on whom I am writing, there might be swearing. As far as speech goes, I tend to swear a lot when alone. I try to keep conversation civil in groups. How the f#ck did we get on this subject?
What you should really ask is do swear words still offend you or have you become inured to them through media, Personally swear words have little to no effect on me, except in judging character.

2 Likes

That was my fault Danny…when you said language I though you meant bad language.
I was bought up in a non cursing home environment. Then my boyfriend moved in with us for a short period. He said trust me your dad swears…I had never considered he had so was quite shocked…I learnt very easily at High School and it stayed at school until I Got older…My husband hates hearing me swear at anything,ever…that is the trouble as I know it so annoys him… :innocent:

1 Like

Now I see what you think of me! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Oh, I think so. - much more formal. That was a reflection on the job did for a living.

1 Like

I guess it depends upon what I am writing. But to a large extent yes.

1 Like

My writing is bad, it’s amazing any of my pen pals can understand my letters, yet they seem to. I guess over the years they have learnt how to translate them. :grinning:

1 Like

I think I write as I write as I speak, really…I find typing words a lot more natural and flowing now than writing with pen and paper (I know, sacrilege!), and my handwriting isn’t bad as such…although I was a much neater writer in school.

1 Like

I feel like my writing style is more precise and stilted, as I only say once what I may repeat if speaking face to face. And, no laughing involved, and that’s not the true personality coming out of me. :laughing:

2 Likes

I write in capitals.
I don’t normally speak in capitals.
But I do speak in capitals when I shout :blush:

1 Like

Ive time to think when writing .
When it’s a conversation errrr I have to remember to engage brain.

2 Likes

Yes, it is definitely different.

Writing on a keyboard at work is formal and professional.
On OFC, it’s very casual since I’m usually using my phone and tend not to type loooooong posts.

Speaking at work, very courteous and professional but not so much if I’m home. Then I’m just casual, just me :icon_lol:

2 Likes

:joy::rofl:…you sound like my son professional speaking at work, I even say to him sometimes when I ring him at work, that doesn’t sound like you,###*…he gets home ,he speaks like me,:rofl::joy:…I haven’t noticed whether my voice matches my writing, I think it does…I say “ A” a lot and ain’t it, I’m from Hampshire…I guess I’m pretty common,:wink:

2 Likes

Nonsense Pauline! There’s nothing common about you!
:grinning:

1 Like

There’s no need to lower the tone, old boy.

(sounds like wot we call dan sarf: brickin’ it.)

@d00d ,. Oh, so sorry old chap, l didn’t mean to offend, what!!
I shall make every effort not to transgress again, what!!
Donkeyman! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

Oh dear, I swear like a sailor too!

What’s that poor dook ever done to you?

But I’d flinch to type what rolls of my tongue far too easily, isn’t that weird?

2 Likes