Is this fact or scam? (Microsoft update)

I’ve often thought about installing Linux Mint on an old laptop. I’ll get round to it soon, hopefully.

I think that, first, I’ll have to look into more details. I assume I shall have to use the existing Windows (?7 or XP) to download the software, but I’m not sure whether it will be possible to install it whilst Windows is still running, or delete the Windows OS.

An old laptop might be good enough but something worth noting. I’ve got Linux Mint 19 with the Cinnamon Desktop installed on a laptop computer (dual-booting with Windows). Also on a Desktop computer that I’ve recently resurrected. I know Linux operating systems are thought to be lighter on resources and run on any old computer but that’s not necessarily so. I had to fit a better graphics card to the Desktop computer because it was overheating while running Linux.

When you download Linux Mint, it comes as a .iso file (linuxmint-19-cinnamon-64bit-v2.iso). In windows 10, right-clicking on the file gives the option to burn it to DVD. There will be a way to put the installation files onto a USB stick but I’ve always used a DVD, so haven’t looked into it. I can’t remember if Windows 7 has this option or not. If not, a third-party program would be needed for the job. Maybe ImgBurn or similar.

Once the installation files are on a DVD or USB stick, the computer has to be booted up from that. Pressing the appropriate key on the computer’s keyboard as it boots should bring up a boot options window where you can choose which device the computer boots up from. Choose the DVD drive or USB stick.

Then wait ages for the Linux OS to load from the DVD. When complete, that’s the stage at which you can actually try Linux Mint without installing it. It will be slow and somewhat limited in function because it’s running from the installation media. Nonetheless, you get to take a look at it without any changes being made to the computer.

When/if you decide to actually install Linux Mint, note the file on the Desktop for doing so. Click on it and follow the instructions reading each dialogue box carefully. At some stage there will be an option to either wipe out the Windows OS and use the entire disk, or to install Linux alongside the existing Windows OS in a dual-boot arrangement. If opting for the latter, Linux Mint will set this up for you. When the Linux installation is complete and the computer is re-booted, there will be an option to boot into either Windows or Linux.

It goes almost without saying that any important files should be backed up before starting the above procedure. Ideally, make a complete disk image and a Windows boot disk. If anything goes dreadfully amiss, you can boot up from the boot disk, access the disk image and overwrite the whole lot to get back to where you started from.

Edit: Linux Mint also receives a good number of updates but I think Linux users generally have more trust in these than Windows users have in Windows updates.

Thank goodness I have a Mac, no problems with updates at all :smiley:

That’s very helpful. Thank you.

Yes. Windows is very good at what it does, but I think Microsoft are relying on the fact that so many people run Windows that they believe they can get away with dictating to their customers what they can and cannot do.

I detest that attitude.

I hope that continues Mags because it’s not the case for all Mac users. Just a couple of links below to Mac problem pages but there are quite a number to be found.

[U]https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/how-fix-mac-that-wont-finish-macos-update-3624050/[/U]

[U]https://appletoolbox.com/2016/10/macbook-will-not-start-macos-sierra-update-fix/[/U]

Thanks Mart, I’ll keep my fingers crossed I don’t get any hiccups… :slight_smile:

I have a couple of computers running Linux in the form of Ubuntu both are extremely old Dell laptops. One is still as slow as a wet weekend even after installing the really cut down version so basically fit only for the bin.

The other machine was actually older (Vista) but runs the full Ubuntu quite well. Some software writers support Linux and this machine runs TeamViewer for an accountant friend of mine.

Linux will always have the problem with mainstream software, eg M$ do not write Office for it. Ubuntu comes bundled with LibraOffice which is fine unless you use a lot of VBA.

Despite being much better than it used to be it is not entirely user friendly - Terminal for example is not easy for the average punter to use and if you run In to problems with, say, your printer driver then solving the problem can be beyond most people.

I like Ubuntu but my main machine(s) will probably always be Windows however keep an eye out for a Windows clone which runs Windows software but is open source and being written from the ground up ie doesn’t infringe on M$ intellectual property rights. It is already in beta testing.

Thanks Bruce, I have turned my updates off as per video

Do you mean ReactOS https://www.reactos.org/

That looks interesting. I might give it a try. Thanks Ray and Bruce. :slight_smile:

That looks very interesting.

Having used Windows for many years and found it very good in most respects, I am dismayed by Microsoft’s dictatorial attitude regarding obligatory updates, changes, etc.

I think that a real independent alternative with, hopefully, all of the functions of Windows has been long in coming. It may even serve to make Microsoft change their attitude and become more consumer-centric.

I have subscribed to the site and look forward to hearing about developments and, eventually, a fully functioning OS. I’d even pay for it (a reasonable amount), and that’s saying a lot from me!

I tried ReactOS on the spare computer but it didn’t work. The files installed but the Desktop didn’t appear once the procedure had completed (just a blank black screen). I left it for about 5 minutes and then hard re-booted the computer. It then went to another stage with some error messages and got stuck at that.

I noticed during the installation procedure that the OS didn’t support a 1920 x 1080 monitor (according to the options given). Maybe ReactOS didn’t like the graphics card or something.

In fairness, there is a message that says the OS is still being worked on. This was ReactOS version 4.9. Worth keeping an eye on however and I’ll give it another go when the next release comes out.

That’s one of them.

I keep getting messages from Microsoft to say they have tried to install the update but it was unsuccessful :mrgreen:

I wouldn’t worry about it eventually it will succeed.

:lol::lol::lol:

Me too.

However, as Bruce says, I have every confidence that they’ll discover a work around one day.

They’ll never relinquish their control of our computers!

JB :slight_smile: it feels good thwarting them while it lasts :lol:

Indeed it does, though I don’t particularly enjoy doing it. It is more about trying to avoid changes being made that I really don’t need and which usually seem to make compromises rather than improvements.