Is this fact or scam? (Microsoft update)

Do we know?

MS Warns Windows 10 Users To Free Up Storage Space For The Big October Update

"Users with small drives may be in for a challenge.

Microsoft is also warning users that Windows Update literally does not verify that enough space is available before commencing. So if the device runs out of space while updating to the next version of Windows 10, the installation simply fails – and it may not be recoverable. Your data may still be on the drive, but Windows itself is hosed and must be fully reinstalled."

from CNET.

1 Like

It’s on Microsoft website so think it’s real. Glad you brought this to my attention tabby .

Do we have to have our computer Updated?

I’d like to know that too Susie.
I don’t like Windows 10, it’s system for photos is so fiddly, it takes ages to find what you’re looking for!
Always updating and popping things up! I’ve got McAffee popping up every five minutes too, I wish it hadn’t come with my new laptop, can’ t get rid of it!

Tessa you are so right I can never find anything !
I have to trawl through libraries and goodness know what else .
It’s a disasters

Hi ST :slight_smile: it is genuine the upgrade code name is Redstone 5.

I hate updates and am not interested in receiving any of them. When I get the message advising about one I always select ‘ask me later’ and delay any installation as long as possible to allow time for Microsoft to sort out any problems and release solutions.

This is some of the rubbish you can expect from the upgrade…

Here are some tips on the upgrade from Forbes …

You can turn off WIN10 upgrades altogether and permanently if you don’t like them.

Personally my only real objection to the updates are that they reset some things that you have set. ie I had to re-turn off the touch screen on my netbook after the last major update.

Something I’m going to have to get used to before too long. Thanks for demonstrating that Bruce, it will be the first thing I do when I purchase a new computer.

The second thing will be to delete any third party security programmes on it. McAffee or Norton…

By the way Bruce, I’ve been looking at a Lenovo laptop on Amazon that seems like the best buy so far…:wink:

The problem with doing that Bruce is if an important update comes along I may not be able to get it.

I still don’t get why it is necessary to update things so often. Even iplayer has just updated again and don’t get me started on Apple music.

The real problem to us technophobes Meg is that we don’t know what’s important and what isn’t… :confused:

I am so glad I ditched Windows

Ok so I did spend a lot of money going to Apple but it works with no huge bloating upgrades that take all night to download

I did get an upgrade through on Friday for the new OS and it took all of 20 mins to download and install with the click of one button and no changes to any of my settings

TBH Barry, I don’t think any of it is important. I don’t remember any of this with Windows 95 or 98 and the sky didn’t fall in. :wink:

Barry :slight_smile: I am a technophobe too and just muddle along but if some important security update is issued I would like to be able to have it.

I don’t want the other rubbish though .

Good luck trying to get rid of McAfee Foxy!
I thought I had several times on my old laptop and it snuck back! It’s impossible to remove, I even messaged them and asked them to stop it, they said they would but didn’t!
Every time things freeze or start behaving badly I know there’s going to be a McAffee message popping up! Grrr!

The likes of Norton used to provide a tool to completely remove their bloatware program, is there a similar tool for McAffee?

IIRC, I used this one:

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/oracle/webcenter/page/scopedMD/s55728c97_466d_4ddb_952d_05484ea932c6/Page29.jspx?showFooter=false&articleId=TS101331&leftWidth=0%25&showHeader=false&wc.contextURL=%2Fspaces%2Fcp&rightWidth=0%25&centerWidth=100%25&_adf.ctrl-state=v41hc1gud_9&_afrLoop=2799215283977715#!

How to remove McAfee products from a PC running Windows

This article describes how to remove or uninstall a McAfee Consumer product from a PC running Windows using the standard Windows removal steps and the McAfee MCPR tool.

I’m afraid you are completely wrong!

I know, because I did that some time ago and, although it worked for a time, one day I found that Microsoft had overridden it and forced an ‘update’.

It seems to work, but I know you’ll find out for yourself that it is not completely effective.

To be honest, I am becoming heartily sick and tired of Microsoft’s dictatorial attitude.

They know that they have a captive audience and are taking full advantage of it. I shall wait and see what happens with this enormous and unnecessary ‘update’, but may decide to do something about Windows 10. The last big ‘update’ messed up my desktop and some settings, which I find unacceptable.

I have two questions, if anyone can advise.

1. Is it possible to run all Windows software (such as Adobe Photoshop and TurboCAD) on an Apple installation?

2. If I can obtain a Windows 7 installation disc, will I be (once again) be forced to ‘upgrade’ to Windows 10. If not, and assuming that W7 is ‘no longer supported’, could I expect NOT to receive constant Windows Update messages? I’d even be prepared to ditch Windows 10 completely if I could not dual boot between W7 and W10.

I have found that when I update (voluntarily) CCleaner, it also sneaks in a McAfee installation without making it clear that it is about to do so, or at least I didn’t see anything.

Actually, it might have been Avast rather than McAfee. Sorry!

On a positive note, however, I have always gone to Control Panel / Programmes and Features, then clicked the McAfee (or Avast) entry and it is uninstalled quickly and easily. Of course I always check now and do it straight away, as it could be that if left for any length of time that may be problematic?