Is this a sign my mind might be going awry?

Lately I have noticed when writing I write a totally different word to what I wanted to write.
Such as, instead of writing, “date” I write, “that” or instead of writing “love” I write “does”. Makes no sense. It is not simply a case of hitting the wrong letters.
This has been happening more often in the past few months.

I’m certainly no doctor, so you might want to check with your doctor about any medical conditions you’re concerned about.

In my experience, when my mind does things like that, it could be a sign of stress. Like when you forget your glasses in the refrigerator or when you go into a room and forget why you’re there. That’s when I know I need to slow down and take a break. I try not to get to that space, but it’s happened to me before.

1 Like

Simple spelling mistakes, totally not being able to spell common words, sometimes I forget why I went into a room, when that happens, I backtrack and 90% of the time remember.

1 Like

Have you ever looked at a word so long that it didn’t look right? There’s so much pressure to get it right that it doesn’t look like the right word anymore. Same process.

But I’m sure there’s lots of other reasons for making simple mistakes, so you might want to check them out.

1 Like

I done a tiny bit of research about writing the wrong word.

The first page that displayed was Wrong Planet.

Wrong Planet is an online community for “individuals with Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, ADHD, PDDs, and other neurological differences”.

The last entry regarding this topic was posted in 2016

Recently I have had a problem where I think one word and another word is inserted into the convo instead or even a word or phrase that wasn’t even supposed to be there was inserted. These arn’t tiny things either. An example is that I was writing to a friend a serious message where every word mattered and I didn’t think anything of the message after it, except that I was nervous of the outcome. Well, it appeared that I inserted the word “Christmas” instead of “Halloween” as a time frame and that ruined the whole convo. I wasn’t even thinking of the word “Christmas.”

Another example is when I was writing a serious message to another friend where I thought the phrase: “this message is coming as a friend.” And when I went to review the first line I read “this message is NOT coming as a friend.” (the capital letters for emphasis). I removed the word not. But, why would I write that. She is one of my best friends.

I was wondering if this is common among people with high functioning autism?

Hmmm. How do I take this?

Something I do all the time is this….think the next word and type the one after.
Nothing to worry about!

1 Like

Do you have predictive text ?

1 Like

Only when using search engine. Not prose writing.

I think you are overthinking Bretrick,which will make matters worse.
We store too much information in our heads,so we are overloaded imo.

1 Like

Yes, I am not overly concerned.
If it was to start happening more frequently then I may talk to my doctor.

I would speak to a doctor. I don’t think it’s stress-related.

1 Like

I agree. Not stress related. I have very little stress in my life.

hopefully nothing serious but it is best to check things like this out early

1 Like

Bretrick, have a word with bret, I think he has certificates.

I find my handwriting is getting worse but I believe that’s because I hardly write anything now. Everything is on the Ipad or phone. I think we should all make ourselves write a few sentences every day.

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry too much, I find that I do exactly the same thing.