Is the UK a bad place for tech firms?

The UK disallowed Microsoft from purchasing Activision. Microsoft says that the move is bad for business.

The UK government seems to think the move protects its other tech businesses.

PM Rishi Sunak is trying to encourage more homegrown tech in the UK. There was a time when the UK was home to innovation but currently the biggest tech firms are in other countries.

Many tech companies in the UK just want to be bought out my bigger US companies.

Brexit brought additional red tape according to some tech startups.

Can the tech in the UK be revitalized?

With a corporation tax of 25%, up from 19%, I would not consider starting a company here, but would over in Jersey where CT doesn’t exist.

1 Like

UK firms in technical areas have been in cline for years. An example in my field (power electronics) was a paper mill. It ceased trading around 40 years ago. It was exported to Taiwan where it was put into operation with quite a few new parts. It was interesting for me - I managed the project in ressuracting it.

And it was not unique. Projects like that have been moved to other countries or, in some cases, just scrapped. And not just in papermills. Coal mines, steel mines, car plants etc. All very sad.

Sir Ian Livingstone says that the games sector in the UK wanted that deal to go through.

One of the UK’s largest tech firms has declined to sell its shares on the London stock exchange, opting to sell in the US.

Its probably not good for an economy when it is dependent upon keeping nurdologists sweet. :icon_wink: :computer:

It depends on what’s driving the economy. At this point, the country with the most advanced tech has the competitive advantage. Warfare is more about taking out a country’s infrastructure than it is about military weapons. The country with the most advanced tech will also lead the economy.

Microsoft is appealing this decision.

So, by that definition, we develop the “Tech” then flog it off? I think we have been there before in the pre-tech days.

Yes. Seems to be the trend.

So, how do isolated “Flog Offs” like this help the economy?