Is it too soon to get another dog (split thread)

It’s not too soon to have another and think of the one that you was thinking of having, he might not get another chance.

1 Like

Each to their own, my Rosie passed away at Christmas time, I’m still getting over it, I know in my heart,I will never have another dog, losing her ripped me to pieces, I dread to think what I’m going to be like when Jack passes.

The heartbreak for me was to much…

1 Like

Go for it!

1 Like

We left it too late to get another dog, so have never had one after Brandy. She died years ago. So go for one Tpin, don’t leave it too late like we did. Time was never right to get one after Brandy, not because we didn’t want to replace her, but because circumstances changed for us.

1 Like

That is exactly it Tiffany circumstances change all.
When we lost Oiga our world died for a while.
We got Boyzee he turned out to be 100% hunter Puss. died young because of a type of Botulism…bad end again.
Had Girlze then who is still with us,and lively at 17 years.
… Husband had an offer of a lost Kitten who was around 5 months old a Male Tabby Kitten.
… Husband was a volunteer at the Barbie Keel Sanctuary near Battle East Sussex at the time.

He can home with a photo…I had to go and see this Puss but worried about Madam Girlze and another Cat in the home…
…What was suggested as an option was we take him on as a foster and return if all goes pairshaped…

Saber fell on his feet that day, so did Husband,two peas in a pod ever since then. Almost inseperable…

There were some volunteers at that Sanctuary that had lost pets, and just could not do the heartbreak ever again…I can feel that also, but for us Pets are Us, without a 2nd thought
p.s. I am a bad speller, slight word blindness I call it, and cant get the spell check working last few days…?

1 Like

We lasted about a month between dogs.Kept using the wrong name for a bit but she’s taken over now.Just like her predecessor.

1 Like

I’m so sorry Pauline, that must have been awful :disappointed:

1 Like

When my husband and I lost our first shepherd, I couldn’t get another dog as I was too heart broken but my husband got another one.
We didn’t quite connect.

When our first schnoodle died, I was so beside myself with grief that I desperately needed a distraction. My husband and I were both secretly looking at the same schnoodle puppy until finally one day we confessed and went to see it. She will be 7 this Christmas and is the happiest dog we have ever owned. We got her 2 weeks after we lost the last one and have no regrets whatsoever.

3 Likes

We’ve been through it 5 times now but it doesn’t get any easier. But having more than one at a time helped us through each one but never forget them. Sometimes we’ll look at ours and say that they’ve done something similar to one that has passed away and we wil smile and laugh about it.

2 Likes

It never gets easier but what we found was that if you have more than one dog and one dies, it leaves the other dog very lonely. Plus we discovered that the new dog takes social cues from the other dog which makes it easier to train them. Now we make sure to always have two dogs. Like others here, I think there is such a thing as waiting too long.

2 Likes

My Husband and Saber are too close, and I know he worries…I do get quite bothered often, as it is not like he has ever been completely ace in Health…
No idea how he would cope at all…We never have tried to replace passed on pets and that is very important…grieve yes, but you need somehow to start a fresh…

3 Likes

Of course they are never forgotten. Each dog has a special place in our heart and soul. We both talk to them often.

We also find similarities with our dogs which we find quite touching. It makes us laugh when we see one acting just like another of our dogs almost like they are reincarnated.

3 Likes

We don’t,it makes us sad.We prefer ours to be completely different.

1 Like

Only we can decide when is too soon for us.

When our Standard Dachshund died, we said we would not replace him, we had an elderly Scottie & it would be one dog at a time for us. But our Scottie missed the company, so we brought a wirehaired Dachshund puppy, but he was too much for the old boy, so we brought an adult Basset Hound & that worked perfectly for us. Our Basset came from a breeder, so she was used to puppies & having lots of company.

Our elderly Scottie loved the quiet, gentle company of a lazy Bassett & enjoyed his last couple of years, with company. Young & older.

1 Like

Yes it’s up to the individual to decide when to have another, but shouldn’t feel guilty about when do get another.

Some know on here that I very recently list my wonderful dog Kodi. We very soon got another and we now have life again in our home. Kodi was irreplaceable and his own dog, I am grieving Kodi still and I always will just like I have all our passed family pets.

I have hundreds of pictures on my phone of the memories we made with Kodi over the 14 years we had him and im so glad.

The little man is bringing some joy into our
hearts .

Some may think or say its too soon but I dont really care what anyone thinks, we did what was right for us.

RIP my beautiful dog Kodi,

3 Likes

Grief is such a personal thing isn’t it…there is no one size suits all we all get over losing pets in our own way.

All I can say LQ is thank goodness for your new little puppy Loki…he makes us all smile x

2 Likes