Is it just me - I'm having a rant

So what are all our young people doing Annie? Going to university and getting degrees in advertising, the arts and journalism…Why aren’t they being dentists or doctors?
Why are they all leaving? I’ll tell you why…Because this country is shite, and it’s not Britain anymore. It’s turning into a third world country and anyone worth their salt are getting the hell out except us old stick in the muds who are too old to uproot now.

4 Likes

You have a thing about young people Foxie if they are not going down the pit they are all wasters .

It’s not easy to become a dentist , it’s a long and arduous training similar to a doctor .
They need a parcel of A levels to get in to dental courses/ medical school and it’s highly competitive .

And believe it or not.
Not everyone wants to spend their life looking at people rotten teeth ,

1 Like

I know the opening post very much highlighted the lack of NHS dentists and the costs of private dentist. It also highlighted the wider cost of living and quality of life struggles of so many - and the Tory government policies and actions have, in the last 13 years, made this considerably worse. Our poor social care, austerity and lack of support for NHS & NHS dentists, the condition of the roads, schools falling down, etc. has resulted in a country that feels like its gone backwards in time. And not in a good way.

6 Likes

Our young people aren’t the issue OGF, they will take years to train and that’s if they want to be dentists or doctors and pay a fortune in tuition fees only to find that everyone hates them and complains about the work they do. Doesn’t seem the sort of jobs Gen Z would want to do. But it’s the fully trained brain drain that is the problem. There’s no incentive to stay in the UK and work for the NHS. Each political party in power has meddled with the NHS and GP, dental, consultant, junior doctor contracts. Dentists only stay until they have completed mandatory training so that they can practice. Working privately now means setting up with one of the big players and I’m not sure that’s very lucrative for newly qualified dentists or prestigious long term, so they go abroad.

I fully agree with your second para and that’s linked in with my point Brexit. Glad you have the same view on that!

1 Like

Absolutely Annie, Doctors and Dentists take years to train and it just highlights the fact that the rot set in before the torys were in power. Blair and Brown were in power when the country went tits up. Labour encouraged hundreds and thousands of migrants to come and work here…I didn’t know it then, but I actually was instrumental in the migration machine…Blair even sent all our young people to university with our money, that most students will never pay back.
So over population has swamped the NHS and many other services like schools, Doctors surgeries, and housing. Not to mention the supply of energy, water and sewage services. The country has been overwhelmed by incommers which has devalued life in Britain, add to this an inept government who waste our money propping up the war in the Ukraine and now Israel. HS2 has been a money pit, and we are sending reparations to Africa for stuff that happened a couple of hundred years ago…So now there is not enough to go round. What did we expect would happen?

1 Like

That’s not true many students do pay back their loans my children included .
And it may take 7 years to become a doctor but it doesn’t take 20 + years you can’t blame everything on Blair and Brown

1 Like

Just most of it…
So you assume that every student is as successful as your children Muddy?
For every one capable of paying back the loans I could bring you six that can’t, including my grandkids. And if as Annie suggests that after training the doctors and dentists leave this country they will no longer have to pay the loan back.

1 Like

I didn’t say my children were successful Foxie I said they paid their student loans back .
Maybe they didn’t have to I but they have .
I presume your grandchildren chose to go to university ?

Isn’t it a right of passage these days? Young folk would be considered a failure if they didn’t obtain the appropriate results to go to university or it’s a life of flipping burgers in Macdonalds.

No it’s not a choice for all .
It’s not right for all and that is what Blair got wrong . He thought it was and it’s true a university degree doe open doors because so many jobs require it .
But it’s not the be all and end all . Not everyone is university material I belive it’s best to do what makes you happen and earns you a living. If you get both in one packet that’s a bonus .

Don’t worry folks, now Richie rich has allowed the bankers cap to be removed. all will be well

I think you only have to repay the student loan when you start to earn over a certain amount. If you never get a job that pays over the threshold you never pay it back.

3 Likes

The Alison Rise women is set to get £10million for being sacked .
The Nat West Bank is something like 38% public owned so that much of her £10 million os public ie taxpayers money .

Do you have any data to support this analysis? My own view is that poor long term planning and under-investment in our services for many years has caused all the problems. The migration from the EU enabled us to have all the skilled and unskilled labour we needed when we needed it. So we had cheap food and cheap products and services. We desperately need care staff, nurses, doctors, dentists, builders, factory workers, engineers etc etc and are having to now court from all over the world inviting people from all four corners of the planet to fill in highly bureaucratic forms to come here when someone could just hop on a bus and be working next day. As a result the culture is now becoming confused by people from pretty much anywhere and everywhere, who perhaps cannot communicate with each other never mind patients because they have only just managed to scrape through a compulsory English exam.

2 Likes

The UK is beautiful, why would anyone want to leave?

The Tories have been in power since 2010 - that is thirteen years ago! - even allowing for the 5 to 7 years training, newly qualified dentists this year would have still been schoolchildren, about 12 years old when the Tories first came to power.
In that 13 years of Tory rule, many Dentists have given up doing NHS work.
I know my dentist tried to continue as an NHS Dentist for as long as he could, until the Tory Govt cut funding and created a payment structure that left dentists out of pocket when carrying out work for the NHS.

3 Likes

I don’t have a thing about young people Muddy, it’s what the establishment is teaching them.
We are producing a nation of very educated young people who can’t wire a plug up…

2 Likes

What is so great about wiring a plug ?
If you dont know how to do it you go onto YouTube .
If we want more doctors and dentists we want educated young people .

We don’t just want doctors and dentists though do we Muddy? We need plumbers, electricians, bricklayers, joiners, mechanics and engineers…Most of whom need to be able to wire a plug up…

1 Like

Where I live the plumbers electricians bricklayers are absolutely rolling in it they come when they like and charge what they like .
Mechanics don’t do much these days they just plug into a diagnostic computer and bobs your uncle .
We have engineers , they are educated it’s not enough to just wield a spanner