Is it fine to eat fast food at this age?

The studies out there have conflicting results and are inconclusive. In my experience most long term veggies vegans don’t fare any better healthwise and the studies as a whole agree with this view. There may be marginal overs/unders in individual studies but on the whole I wouldn’t say it’s worth going down this route for health reasons as there is no conclusive evidence it’s going to make much difference. I mentioned vegans are happier, but on checking there’s another study to say they are more depressed. Go figure.

1 Like

Depends on the individual. Odd that you make conclusions of the lack of benefits based on a few individuals but then generalize to the whole population that it doesn’t make much of a difference.

Going back to fast food. There are better and worse food choices at fast food restaurants.

Vegan or not, the bigger risk is a low fiber diet. Steak has very little fiber. I think some people are surprised by that.

yes, my original point.

It also matters, repeating my previous point, how often one does so.

If for whatever reason, you are buying takeaway food more often, pick healthier choices.

If it is very occasionally, doesnt really matter if it is a splurge of unhealthy options (barring specific medical conditions, of course)

Your dietary health (weight, cardiac issues, cancer risk etc ) is dependant on your overall diet - not one isolated meal

1 Like

Re vegans living longer - I am not a vegan nor even a vegetarian so no vested interest - but I think that is probably true

However that means nothing without factoring in other variables.

On the whole vegans tend to be more into healthy lifestyles - fitter, don’t smoke or drink to excess etc - unless the living longer was shown to be longer with no other variables, then one could just as easily increase ones chances of longetivity by just adopting the other factors.

which is about what I do anyway.

I used to work with a bloke who’s main meal on shift each day was two hamburgers with the lot. In a concession to healthy living they were washed down with a DIET Coke.

He retired at the same time as me but I attended his funeral about a decade ago.

The moral of this story is to avoid diet coke, it’s a killer.

So true Bruce, I just wish the meat avoiders would stop salivating whilst one is trying to enjoy one’s Hamburger!!!

I have two thoughts about that theory:

1. Germany is the biggest customer for soy beans from Brazil. Pigs are being fed soy bean based ‘food’ here. So Germany is probably partially responsible for the deforestation there. Proves your point, soy is not good for the beast (which lived in the rain forest before soy beans were planted there).

2. People in Japan eat lots of Tofu and little meat. Guess who has the oldest population? This rather disproves your point.

1 Like

I don’t think they eat only Tofu in Japan. I haven’t checked the stats but I am pretty sure people there have developed Western health conditions due to the influx of fast foods in the last 50 years.

I am staying at my daughters house so last night we had fast food from Slow Noodles Fast. Their Seafood Kui Teow is my favourite.

There is too much to eat at one sitting so I divide it in half and have another meal the next day.

I do the same with the Saturday night Curry, still put on a Kilo, every Sunday!

Apparently KFC is Japan’s go to Christmas dinner, they have to order weeks in advance. (Or was that Korea? one of the two.)

1 Like

Well done. :slightly_smiling_face:

Good example of drawing a conclusion from

1 limited sample size
2 not factoring in other variables.

It’s a well known fact that 72.4% of statistics are made up on the spur of the moment.

Me neither.

Thank you for making that clear. As a computer scientist I like those “proofs by anecdote”. Our Maths professors did the same, but to chellenge us. They asked us “what do you mean? Mathematical proof by example does not exist”.

Sorry, a bit off-topic. :smiling_face:

1 Like

:joy:

What about Coke Zero?

After reading all this :arrow_up:poor Liam wishes he never ask :rofl:

My advice is eat fast food …the faster the better, before anyone else sees you !!

I’m a bit of a rebel. I rarely if ever eat fast food but when I do I eat it really slowly.
I suggest if you must buy fast food, throw it straight down the toilet and cut out the middle man (or woman)

Greggs recent diversification has certainly slowed the Fast Food process down :laughing: