Is AI about to transform the legal profession?

For the legal profession itself, AI represents both a threat and an opportunity. It could lead to a “savage reduction” in jobs for humans, according to a 2021 report from the UK’s Law Society. And a study this year from the universities of Pennsylvania, New York and Princeton estimated that the legal sector was the industry most likely to be impacted by AI.

At the same time, AI can play a hugely valuable role in researching and putting cases together. Although there is precedent for things going horribly wrong.

New York lawyer Steven Schwartz found himself facing his own court hearing this year, when he used popular AI system ChatGPT to research precedents for a case involving a man suing an airline over personal injury. Six of the seven cases he used had been completely made up by the AI.

While that may have left many law firms reluctant to embrace such systems, Ben Allgrove, the chief innovation officer at international law firm Baker McKenzie, has a different interpretation. Mr Allgrove thinks that the vast majority of AI usage in his firm will come from using the new AI-powered versions of existing legal software providers, like LexisNexis and Microsoft’s 365 Solution for Legal.

LexisNexis launched its AI platform back in May, which can answer legal questions, generate documents and summarise legal issues. The caveat is that currently, premium, paid-for versions of such tools are expensive. The alternative is for law firms to pay a lesser amount to access AI systems not specifically aimed at the legal market, such as Google’s Bard, Meta’s Llama, and OpenAI’s ChatGPT. The firms would plug into such platforms, and adapt them for their own legal use.

Baker McKenzie is already testing several. “We are going out to the market and saying we want to test the performance of these models,” says Mr Allgrove. Testing is crucial because all the current systems will make errors.

Alex Monaco is an employment lawyer who runs both his own solicitor practice and a tech firm called Grapple. Grapple was developed to provide members of the public with what Mr Monaco calls “an ontology of employment law”, and offers advice on a range of workplace issues from bullying and harassment to redundancy. It can generate legal letters and provide summaries of cases. He is excited about the potential for AI to democratise the legal profession. “Probably 95% of the inquiries that we get are from people who just cannot afford lawyers,” says Mr Monaco.

But thanks to widely available free AI tools, people can now build their own legal cases. Anyone with an internet connection can use Bard or ChatGPT to help formulate a legal letter. And while it might not be as good as a letter written by a lawyer, it is free.

It seems to me that, since the law is generally built on the foundation of precedent then AI as a search tool to sift through millions of documents is a good idea but if the used AI (or someone else’s AI) “invents” its own precedents then the law will be on shaky ground indeed - will there be an AI to check legal AI?

One of the most interesting things about my studies of Law relating to Contracts and Finance was learning about the background and details of some of the historic legal precedents.
It throws up all sorts of Quite Interesting bits of history - and I guess people studying Law will still have to learn and memorise a lot of the most important “legal landmark cases” to get through their legal exams.

If the legal profession use AI to sift through all the legal precedents of case law for relevant references, then I presume a human lawyer or judge could easily check the info by using the National Archives to check the details, after the AI source had quoted the relevant case details.

1 Like

Why use a human to check the details - AI could do it quicker … :wink:

That was a suggestion to answer your question about what if AI “invents its own precedents” ! :rofl:

A-ha … but there are many sources of AI - hence my question in the OP regarding an AI to check legal AI - both could come from different sources with different approaches to deep learning and neural networks … with the rapid advances in technology, AI could do in seconds a search which would take a human hours … the same would apply to checking for “inventions” … :nerd_face:

Maybe I’m not understanding the question but the chatbots would be similar to a Google search. The chatbots are searching legal databases, not changing them. Even if the bots can make up fake cases, the case it was used in would have to be passed as law. The bots don’t make precedents.

1 Like

Hi

Anything that annoys Lawyers cannot be all bad.

The complex subject of AI is way beyond my understanding but, AFAIK, free “chatbots”, even AI-driven, are for amateurs. AI services for professionals are a different kettle of fish - not only are they occupation-specific but they are expensive.

What is ChatGPT?

ChatGPT is a natural language processing tool driven by AI technology that allows you to have human-like conversations and much more with the chatbot. The language model can answer questions and assist you with tasks, such as composing emails, essays, and code.

v

RELX is a global provider of information-based analytics and decision tools for professional and business customers, enabling them to make better decisions, get better results and be more productive.

Our purpose is to benefit society by developing products that help researchers advance scientific knowledge; doctors and nurses improve the lives of patients; lawyers promote the rule of law and achieve justice and fair results for their clients; businesses and governments prevent fraud; consumers access financial services and get fair prices on insurance; and customers learn about markets and complete transactions.

The difference between the two “products” will grow ever wider in a very short time as billions of dollars are pumped into “professional”, i.e. directional, AI.

:joy::joy::joy::joy: